Pages

Monday, December 21, 2009

A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You: The Adventures of Jessi & Joshua



He moved out to Colorado last week and started a different life. And while I was crying, I realized he and I almost weren't even friends at all. I knew Josh in middle school, just not all that well. He was the guy who dated my best friend off-and-on, like young romances go. And being a young romance, it had plenty of troubles and I always heard the "horror" stories from my friend about how terrible - and great- of a guy he could be. But in my mind, he was a bad guy who could get on my best friend's nerves.



On my seventeenth birthday, I was watching a movie at the theater I work at. I was leaving the show with my friends when I saw Josh standing behind the concession counter, preparing for a shift. When I saw him standing there, in a spot I had been working in, I flinched inside. That was the guy my best friend had dated off-and-on for ages! And he was terrible! I immediately turned my seventeen-year-old mouth to my friends who worked at the theater and said something along the lines of "I can't believe he works here. That kid is a jerk." And we moved on our way. I didn't think of it for the longest time.




......Until, I worked with him. The transition time between being "enemies" and becoming friends WOULD be the foggiest of my memories. Josh says we went on a lunch break with a group of people and the conversation got rolling. I can imagine myself saying something stupid and Josh laughing at it...and the rest is history. But in all honesty, this friendship most likely did NOT take a lot of time; Josh is incredibly open and makes friends easily, something I've never been great at.



From there, we started talking. And as time went on, we spent more and more time together, until we seemed inseparable. This was most likely because we were scheduled to work together often. Yet within time, I knew Josh better than I knew myself. And truly, the rest IS history. Soon enough, we had traditions: seeing movies on his birthday, or going to Wal-Mart to get candy and browse. Little things like riding around in my "party wagon" or making each other mix Cd's changed my life. Josh made me a happier person, and I could talk to him about anything. I'd never had a guy friend that I could be so close to, and to this day I cannot deny the fact that his friendship has changed me - - for the better. When I think about him living out in Colorado, I can feel bitter that I had been so judgmental in the beginning. I can feel bitter that I didn't jump start our friendship sooner so we could have spent more time together. But in reality, maybe he came into the picture right when he was supposed to.



At seventeen, when I first truly met Josh, I was hung up on a boy who I had just had my first kiss with. Not a great guy, but Josh showed up and was simply my friend. But it was truly what I needed. By coming into my life he made an impact.



Maybe we were both at the right place at the right time. Looking back at the stack of photos we have together, it's obvious the immense impact he has had on my life. Without him with me through this part of the journey, I wonder how things may have turned out. Yes, maybe if we weren't friends, my life would have been a little less dramatic. And yes, maybe if we weren't friends, not so many guys would know I had crushes on them. Yet I wouldn't have it any other way. Now all these tales make great stories and memories, and maybe someday I can look back with Josh and laugh at the dramatic ones too. ;)



Til then, I've got our great friendship to hold onto. Although Josh is far away, he is still as close to me as ever before. And although the time we have been close has been short, I stand assured that it's not ending anytime soon. We have many years of memories yet to make. So thank you Josh, for being my best friend.


1 comment:

Roosterruler said...

Wow. This was a really, really sweet story to read. I love how you documented your friendship. Great read - inspired me to do one one of my own. Fantastic writings.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails