Pages

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

The Oldies but the Goodies

When the term "rock and roll" was first introduced by a radio deejay in Ohio in the 1950s, it was somethign that would create chaos for all listeners. Parents protested the devil's music, while teenagers of the time found it an entertaining and enjoyable reason to rebel. Putting it all into perspective though, without the early greats such as Chuck Berry and Little Richard setting things into motion, we nay not have the classic, metal or even "screamo" rock that the world boasts today.
These are just a few radio hits from the times, and once you hear them, most should ring a familiar bell. Although the list may be short and sweet, it will, I hope, leave you thanking the fabulous tunes that led up to the music we currently hear on the radio today... We all know the GREAT selection the radio provides us with now..




Fabulous Fifties

"Yakety Yak" The Coasters
"Good Golly Miss Molly" Little Richard
"See You Later Alligator" Bill Haley & the Comets
"All I Have to Do is Dream" The Everly Brothers
"Tequila" The Champs
"Hey Good Lookin'" Hank Williams
"Do You Want to Dance" Bobby Freeman
"There Goes My Baby" The Drifters
"Johnny B. Goode" Chuck Berry
"Splish Splash" Bobby Darin


Spectacular Sixties

"My Boyfriend's Back" The Angels
"California Dreamin'" The Mamas and The Papas
"Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" Steam
"Sugar Sugar" The Archies
"We Gotta Get Out of This Place" The Animals
"Sunshine Superman" Donovan
"The Shoop Shoop Song (It's in His Kiss)" Betty Everett
"Stop! In the Name of Love" The Supremes
"Stand by Me" Ben E. King
"Green Onions" Booker T. and the MG's

Sensational Seventies
"Keep on Truckin'" Eddie Kendricks
"Magic" Pilot
"Seasons in the Sun" Terry Jacks
"Magic Carpet Ride" Steppenwolf
"Love Train" The O'Jays
"I Think I Love You" The Partridge Family
"Knock Three Times" Dawn
"I Feel the Earth Move" Carole King
"Go Your Own Way" Fleetwood Mac
"What's Your Name" Lynyrd Skynyrd

Erratic Eighties
"And We Danced" The Hooters
"Total Eclipse of the Heart" Bonnie Tyler
"On the Dark Side" John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band
"Here I Go Again" Whitesnake
"All She Wants to Do is Dance" Don Henley
"The Flame" Cheap Trick
"Hysteria" Def Leppard
"When I See You Smile" Bad English
"Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" The Police
"My Prerogative" Bobby Brown


Nautical Nineties

"You Get What You Give" New Radicals
"Two Princes" Spin Doctors
"Stay Away" Nirvana
"One Headlight" The Wallflowers
"The Sign" Ace of Base
"Cryin'" Aerosmith
"It it Makes You Happy" Sheryl Crow
"Stay (I Missed You)" Lisa Loeb
"Losing a Whole Year" Third Eye Blind
"Spiderwebs" No Doubt



...what good songs have the 2000s produced? thoughts?

1 comment:

Svobodnik said...

Aaaaah! Where did you get this Sixties list from?? "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies? Aaaah...Please dig a little deeper, there is more interesting music out there.

You start the Seventies list off fine with "Keep on Truckin'", but then you devolve with "I Think I Love You". Really?? Whenever I come across that song, I think of a Mad Magazine parody from the 70s where David Cassidy runs around singing "I think I love me..."

The biggest song of the 2000s is obviously "Hash Pipe" by Weezer :0

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails