Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

Journalism : The Story

There are few things I can claim to be passionate about. But one of them, without doubt, is journalism. I stumbled upon it in my junior year in high school. When trying to figure out what I wanted to spend my life doing, I was shuffling through the course offerings for my high school. I saw the journalism course which was basically enrolling in the school newspaper - -and it just seemed like something different and exciting to do. I signed up for it not knowing what to expect, but it surely wasn't in vain.

Newspaper was a rush. The class didn't have enough seniors to fill editor positions, so my adviser was looking for juniors to take leadership roles. I volunteered myself quickly; I had a passion for English and writing. I was offered the Features editor position and was quickly pushed into reviewing stories and designing pages. I didn't spend a lot of time writing articles, but I loved every minute of my editor duties. I spent countless hours after school working to improve the paper and make a name for myself. When senior year rolled around, my hard work had paid off.

When I was chosen to be editor-in-chief, I was elated. And it hit me. This is something I could do for the rest of my life. I live for the deadline drama, the rush, the writing, the stories, the excitement. I love every little thing that comes along with having journalism present in my life. Senior year, the school newspaper basically became my baby: I fed it, nurtured it and prepared it for when I had to hand it down. I adored every second of it. I loved staying after school to design pages, and I enjoyed handing out rough deadlines. I even dropped a class to make more time for the newspaper. I loved going after stories and listening to the people. I liked to see my fellow writers improve and mature over time. I loved helping them in any way I possibly could. I also enjoyed getting after people and feeling pure joy when we had the final copy in our hands. If our names were going out in print, you knew it was going to be spotless.

I can't imagine what I'd be doing right now if I had never signed up for a journalism course in high school. I surely would not have signed up for the campus paper in college, where I hope to be called editor-in-chief someday. I just feel that being "editor" is my purpose and my goal. I imagine myself always "dipping my pen" in the "journalism ink." Someday, I hope to be living in my favorite city - - Chicago - - perhaps as a magazine journalist, writing about the social scene of the city, following the music and people. And more than anything, I crave that editor position. Once I've had it, it's all I want. So for the next three years I plan to continue to fine-tune my abilities in the journalism field. I understand that the present is a difficult time to become a part of the journalism world, but I intend to give it everything I've got. Because when the responsibility and time arrives, I know I have the passion and commitment.

4 comments:

Melissa Blake said...

Great post, Jessi. Actually, this is a pretty exciting time to be in journalism with all the digital and technological changes going on. Journalists and writers are figuring out there are more ways to get stories, commumicate with readers and still adhere to the traditions of journalism, even if it's not the traditional printed form.

.:HENDRY:. said...

Nice post, Jessi. It seems your school really support such things like student improvement, opposite to my school. Even they do not have enough good computer on the lab an library. Oh, my poor school... Hahaha..

Regards from Indonesia.

Kanwalful said...

I can so relate to you, being an aspiring journalist myself. Sadly, I have never really gotten the opportunity to take up journalism as a course due to lack of choice here in Pakistan.

But writing is a passion, and i think I'll make it with or without a journalism degree. =)

Hugs from Pakistan

Kanwalful said...

I can so relate to you, being an aspiring journalist myself. Sadly, I have never really gotten the opportunity to take up journalism as a course due to lack of choice here in Pakistan.

But writing is a passion, and i think I'll make it with or without a journalism degree. =)

Hugs from Pakistan

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails