Pages

Monday, January 04, 2010

Old School Cartoons

The other day at work, I spent the majority of my shift talking to my coworkers about television. The fantastic shows that graced Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network when we were kids seem to have so much more substance than the shows playing today. What were our favorites? See if you remember watching and reciting all of these:
If not, I suggest watching ALL of the theme songs to these shows on Youtube. You may surprised how many of the lyrics you still remember.


POWERPUFF GIRLS

"Sugar, spice and everything nice. These were the ingredients chosen to create the perfect little girls. But Professor Utonium accidentally added an extra ingredient to the concoction - - Chemical X." My personal favorite around the fifth grade. I adored Bubbles and her personality, and you could even say her actions and her role in the show affected the person I am today, as we have a lot in common. And who can forget the beautiful city of Townsville, the dreamy Professor Utonium, or the amazing villians of this show? Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup could always take Mojo Jojo, Fuzzy Lumpkins and Him..but they always returned with a vengeance.


JOHNNY BRAVO

"Man I'm pretty. Do the monkey with me! Here there baby." Johnny Bravo was the sleazy, blonde, short and muscular version of Elvis Presley. He used a lot of hair gel, and looking back he was really just the image of a cheesy, sleazy dude. But we loved this show! Maybe it was his funny one-liners or the mysterious sunglasses, but either way we adored Mr. Bravo.


ROCKET POWER

What. A. Badass. Show. "Action kids in play position - - ROCKET POWER!" Skiing, skateboarding, blading, surfing....these kids did everything I still can't do! I wanted to be one of the boys.


ARTHUR

I can easily say that I have watched Arthur my entire life. I recall running home from elementary school to watch Arthur while I ate my after-school snack. I can still serenade you with the theme song...and Muffy will always be my stuck-up, filthy rich homegirl.


BRACEFACE

Haha Braceface was a great show..but I have no idea what it was about. I remember she was a blonde with braces in high school, and I always think of Sabrina the Teenage witch whenever I'm trying to recall ANYTHING about this show.


AS TOLD BY GINGER

This was actually suggested to me when I was on Youtube looking up Braceface. I FORGOT how much I ADORED this show. And it only makes sense. "Someone once told me the grass is much greener on the other side..." Great nineties opening song...(By MACY GRAY!) I loved Ginger and her dorky friends, and even the group of "popular" girls that were always out to get the trio of girls. Check out their nineties-fabulous outfits on those cartoon bodies! Can't forget the crazy mom with the triangular hair and the bratty little brother! The reason I love this show so much? She's always writing in her diary!


PEPPER ANN

"She's her own biggest fan - - Pepper Ann!" Pepper Ann was my hero! Dorky and cool at the same time, she was an amazing inspiration and role model. Hawaiian Punch red hair, roller blades and accompanied by two hippie best friends, Pepper Ann was just plain AWESOME!


THE WILD THORNBERRYS

There sure were a lot of redheaded female leads in the nineties! Who can forget the father's terrible voice, the bandanna-wearing mom, or cool, belly-baring (SO nineties) older sister! Plus, the Thornberrys were cool enough to get their own movie!


DOUG

Beatnik sister...Mom with blue hair...and the coolest best friend ever. Skeeter. P.S. I love that he writes in his journal. More guys should get in tune with themselves like that, and maybe someday they'd be nearly as cool as Doug.


RUGRATS

Basically: the most adorable show of all time. Every character was phenomenal (Tommy, Chuckie, Phil N Lil, ANGELICA.) And the story lines never grew old. Don't forget Grandpa who was always sleeping, and...REPTAR! They had a great movie too.


DEXTER'S LABORATORY

He had the sweetest bedroom ever, an awesome big sister who happened to ruin all his experiments, and fiery red hair. He got picked on so much, I just wanna give the poor kid a big hug.


OTHER CLASSIC CONTENDERS:

INSPECTOR GADGET
"Inspector Gadget....Woo hoo!"

CATDOG
A cat attached to a dog.

MAGIC SCHOOL BUS
"Seatbelts everyone!" "Pleaseeee let this be a normal field trip." "With the Friz? NO WAY!" I would have killed to be in that class. How many permission slips did THAT take?

GARGOYLES
"Stone by day, warriors by night." I get chills replaying that opening sequence. I loved this show; I feared this show.

DUCK TALES
"Duck Tales! Woo oo!" Huey, Dewey, and Louie...and the Scrooge uncle? Such a great show and AWESOME theme song!

DARKWING DUCK
"Let's. Get. Dangerous." Youtube this intro song right now.

MIGHTY DUCKS
"Here come the Mighty Ducks...burnin' up the ice! Let's gooo!"

GOOF TROOP
Every character on this show was fantastic. End of story. Why were ALL of these theme songs so great?!

PINKY AND THE BRAIN
The theme song to this show terrified me. It was definitely a dark show..and needless to say, I didn't watch it too often. :p But they were lab rats...it's not their fault.

TALE SPIN
DO YOU REMEMBER THE AIRPLANE FLYING BEAR?!?!?!?

ANIMANIACS
I once had an Animaniacs birthday cake! I loved those three, especially Dot! They sang fast, but after watching it hundreds of times you catch on. "We're animaney, totally insaney...we're Animaniacs!"

KIM POSSIBLE.
"Call me, beep me, if ya wanna reach me." Kim Possible, Ron Stoppable...and that naked mole rat.

HEY ARNOLD
Football head! These are some pretty fantastic looking characters. I worship Helga G. Patacki. I love the fact she treats Arnold terribly but secretly has a shrine for him and adores him with all her heart. You go, unibrow girl. P.S. ...was Arnold wearing a kilt?


What are some other great shows? Leave a comment, and I'll continue to pay homage to the great cartoons of late!

4 comments:

Daysha Writes said...

Ha! These bring back memories! I used to love power puff girls in elementary/middle school! I still watch cartoons to this day but they need to bring back some of these old cartoons on one channel! That would be awesome!

Anonymous said...

Invader Zim! <3
Ahh Real Monsters!

Ana Cristina said...

this post has been my favourite to read on a blog in so longg... i loved it and u made me smile thinking back to my childhood!! :D haha x

UjjwalRaaj said...

Aah the good old days. I'm still looking around for DVD box sets or anything of that kind. All the ones mentioned above encompass my life form when I was 5 to 12.

There was another one(amongst many) that I loved. - Real Monsters.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails