Pages

Monday, February 08, 2010

Ode to My Car


...I have this car.
I have this car, and it's unlike any other car I've ever met. For this car is a very special car. This car is green in color, and this car is a station wagon. This car is named Felix, for no special reason. This car is my car, and we take special care of each other. It's truly a beautiful, blissful relationship.

At age sixteen with lots and lots of saved babysitting dollars, I bought Felix and it's been true love ever since. He's never had a working speedometer and the air conditioner just won't run, but hey, we've all got our flaws. Felix has always brought me from Point A to Point B and we've had some good times in the space between.

When I bought Felix, he was just a little green car. Then the summer before my senior year of high school, I went shopping for paint. I bought cans and cans in all sorts of color -- the kind to paint the sides of barns. Turns out they don't exactly sell the kind of paint necessary to complete the task I was embarking on. So one long summer day in my hot driveway, I gave Felix the makeover of a lifetime.

The motive? There really was none other than the fact that I wanted a unique car. I'm no artist, but after five hours I felt like I had created a masterpiece.

When driving Felix, it felt like I could cause a collision at a moment's notice. People would focus more on my car than their own driving. Elderly couples would scoff, children would smile and giggle from backseats, and a coworker dubbed it the "party wagon." My car was truly a force to be reckoned with.

Some of my friends were embarrassed to ride in my car after this, and a lot of people poked fun. But I loved my "hippie mobile" and that's all that really mattered to me.

Felix and I were printed in my senior yearbook as the car "best fit to personality." It was so very true. We were quite the pair at my high school. Besides, I was the obsessive newspaper editor-in-chief. I couldn't get that much dorkier. After senior year ended though, the hype sort of died down. My paint looked the same to me day after day, and it became frustrating to have people constantly mention that they saw my wagon parked here or there at this time or that time. It was like my car was a local celebrity. I was about to start the fall semester of college, and more than anything, I just wanted to blend in. Five hours and seven cans of Oven Cleaner later, (and very red hands) Felix was back to his original green. It was sad, but at the same time it was also incredibly refreshing. As much as I love attention, it is nice to be able to blend in every once in a while.

Either way, I've had some amazing times with that car. Living in a small town and not being a partier, there isn't much to do. I've spent a lot of memorable nights driving around nowhere (at who knows what speed) with my friends, with the windows rolled down and singing at the top of our lungs. I love Felix, no matter what he looks like. As cheesy as it sounds, it's whats on the inside that counts. Here's to some college adventures with all-green Fee!

8 comments:

RAY J said...

Yay for finally getting to see pictures - I must have left right before your masterpiece was unvield, as I don't recall seeing it, but I have heard some of the former coworkers make mention of the "party wagon"

Looks pretty neat - totally you!

I name my cars too - my white Chevy Corsica I named Corey the Corsica while my current Chevy Aveo is Avy the Aveo, lol... not *that* creative, but oh well!

Melissa Blake said...

OMG, I loooove this car! If I drove, that is the kind of car I'd have!!

I love how you wrote this too -- would be a good piece for a Kscope issue!!

I Love You More Then... said...

You're car looks like tons of fun. & My car has a Hispanic name too!

Juliana said...

That car is sooooo cool!!! OMG I think I just feel in love with your car and your blog. I am your newest fan and follower. I hope you will pop on by and follow back as well. Loved your guest post on Melissas blog. Juliana from A Blnde Walks Into A Blog

Anonymous said...

HEY NICE CAR BRO.

Hannah Mae said...

Sometimes I miss Felix's paint job, but then I remember, we're weird enough already to make people stare when we're in your car, the paint isn't necessary haha.

Jessi Haish said...

I love you guys XD

Erica said...

Hold on, you painted that yourself? That is freakin awesome. You pimped your own ride!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails