Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Doin' the iPod Shuffle


For the first time in a long time, let's hit shuffle on the old iPod and see what the first five songs are!

1) All Apologies - Nirvana
Nirvana is without a doubt my second favorite band (Aerosmith being the first and my only true love.) This is one of Nirvana's biggest hits and definitely one of my personal favorites. Some may say that Nirvana is overrated; had lead singer Kurt Cobain not passed, they would not be as popular or immortalized as they are. While I certainly do not have an opinion on that either way, I can't help but imagine the possibilities of what would have happened if he were still alive today. Would we have more of these great songs, or would things be different? Or if he were still alive, would songs like "All Apologies" be as treasured as they are? There is really no way of knowing, but thinking about the possibilities is absolutely endless.

2) If You're Gonna Play in Texas (You Gotta Have a Fiddle in the Band) - Alabama
My oh my, do I love country music. This is a song every single American needs to hear, perhaps even own, to be considered an American in my eyes. After all, the band's name IS Alabama! I think this song is important because it tells an honest story regarding country music and has a catchy beat and chorus that I think could sway those that like "every kind of music except country" (you know who you are.)

3) The Ballad of Danny Bailey (1909-34) - Elton John
From the album Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, lyricist Bernie Taupin created Danny Bailey, who was killed by "some punk with a shotgun" "In cold blood, in the lobby of a downtown motel." A fictional character explained through short lyrics, this song is mainly driven by the pounding instrumentals that are laid throughout the song. The best way to describe Danny Bailey can be found in the last two lines of the song: "he found faith in danger, a lifestyle he lived by, A running gun youngster in a sad restless age."

4) Your Love - The Outfield
Two things.
1) This song completely illustrates eighties music for me personally.
2) This is one of the greatest songs of all time.
Something about this song makes me want to dance every time I hear it. It makes me want to dance, but it also makes me want to drive around in my car at night with a bunch of friends, singing at the top of our lungs. Although I'm not even a product of the eighties, this song almost makes me feel like I could have been there and I know I would have loved every second of it. I adore this song!

5) Darlin' - Backstreet Boys
Now THIS is my generation. Good old Backstreet Boys. This song is off their first, self-titled album; it was also one of the first albums I owned. I was around eight years old when the Britney/NSync/Backstreet Boys tidal wave crashed, and I'm not embarassed to admit that I was incredibly swept up in it. I remember putting in my Backstreet Boys CD next to my huge CD player at the time (located perfectly next to bed) and listening to them coo me to sleep almost every night for a year or more. Nick Carter (the blonde one) was my favorite, and "Darlin'" was one of those cute boy band anthems that would have had me relaxed and in DreamLand in a matter of moments, thinking about my Backstreet Boys.

3 comments:

Christy said...

Hahaha "Your Love" is almost always my starting song on my running playlists. I LOVE it. That and "Anyway you Want it" by Journey.

Natalia said...

great choices!!
nice blog!
xx

CFM said...

absolutely love BSB, and always will. Darlin' is an amazing song.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails