Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I was interviewing for an article I'm writing...

Today was like any other day: I attended class as usual then went to meet with some people for an article I was writing for the campus newspaper. I was looking to do a spotlight on our college's theater department and assumed I'd just be sitting down having a discussion with the instructor. However this time, I sat in a hallway with three students from the program, and talked with them about their experiences. It only lasted half an hour but it felt like a good hour or two. It moved smoothly; we discussed the program, what should be discussed in the article, and anything else that happened to come up. But when I walked away from the discussion, I was yearning for more. I already knew everything I needed to, but I just wanted to know everything. Here was a small group of dedicated theater majors and they had a fantastic story to tell. I was fortunate enough to be the one to seek it out. As I'm sitting there in awe of everything I wanted to cover in my article, it hit me. This IS what I want to do for the rest of my life. I thought journalism was cool before; now I consider myself officially addicted.

I was amazed learning about their program; something I knew nothing about. I wanted to know every last detail and just absorb every bit of their stories. I've never felt so passionate and excited to write an article, or even work on one. I've officially found the beauty in finding and telling a great story. Isn't that what journalism is all about?

I realized today that this is what I am going to do for the rest of my life. I surely have never found this natural high elsewhere. I've been hit with a ton of bricks; now I just have to pursue this dream harder than ever before.

I love all of it; I want to be the one to find these fantastic stories. I want to be able to tell these stories for THEM. I want to say what needs to be said. I want that story out there. Right now I've solidified my passion. I love what I'm doing. But I've also just realized that I love all the people that I'll always be doing it FOR.

2 comments:

Christy said...

Hi! I found you through So About What I Said and I love your blog! Great photos and I love the scribble idea! Can't wait to follow!

Jessi Haish said...

Nice to "meet" you! Thanks for following! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails