Pages

Monday, April 05, 2010

The Search for the Perfect Prom Dress


Yes, I'm definitely a freshman in college.
And I will definitely be attending my first prom this year.

My lovely boyfriend asked me to go to his senior prom with him next month, and of course I accepted. I adore him, and I know we're going to have a fantastic time. In the past I haven't had that much luck when it came to prom, however I know this year will be different.

Where do I begin with the prom story? I guess it was when I was younger that prom nostalgia hit me. When most girls were dreaming of wedding dresses, I was dreaming of prom dresses. Wedding dresses always came in white, but prom dresses, PROM DRESSES came in all colors of the rainbow. You wore them to a dance with a cute boy and had a romantic night. You didn't have to be tied down to a husband for the rest of your life after wearing a prom dress.

Junior year of high school - the first year I could attend prom - quickly arrived and I was ecstatic. My class was in charge of throwing the prom, and I sold candy bars to my heart's content to help fund it, and then realized I needed a date. There really weren't any options at my school and I knew no guy was going to ask me so I decided to ask a guy at work. He had been there for a while and we talked and he was friendly and cute, so I decided to ask him. He said yes, and I frantically went to work on details. When I told him details about the night and he simply nodded, I should have seen it as a warning sign. I didn't though. I went out and bought a beautiful dress - an electric blue that matched my eyes. I felt like a princess. When I asked him about meeting me at a certain time, he simply nodded and moved on with whatever he was doing. Three nights before the big night I called him up to see what time we were leaving since he never really gave me an answer. Sitting in my best friend's car at a stoplight, he told me "uh, yeah, I don't think I can go."

....

What? He doesn't think he can go? Nope. Apparently he got caught messing around with his GIRLFRIEND and his parents told him no, you can't go to prom with that nice girl. Wait...you have a girlfriend now? I'm so confused. But what did I do to react? I said, okay and moved on. I went home and cried to myself instead. Prom day I spent at home with my family cleaning the house. Not my finest day.

Senior year rolled around and by that time I had become pretty cynical towards the entire idea of prom. I didn't even try looking for a date because I didn't want to be set up for failure. I wanted to go so bad, but I down-played it. I said prom was stupid and a waste of money and I wasn't going. Prom can be stupid and a waste of money...if you don't go with someone you care about. I didn't have that person.

Then I fell for Chris, and we're really happy together. It was a huge surprise when he asked me to go with him...I'm still in shock that I'm actually going. I couldn't have a better date, either. I've found that in life the saying is true: good things come to those who wait. I can't imagine I would have had the best time my junior even if whats-his-face did show up that night. But now I'm in a fantastic relationship and I'm happy. It really doesn't even matter if I ever go to prom, but the fact that I'm going with him makes things feel absolutely perfect.

I sold the electric blue dress to a prom resale a little over a month ago, and I'm glad it happened to work out that way. Thursday I'll be going with one of my best friends on The Search for the Perfect Prom Dress. Things are going to be completely different this year, and I can't wait.

3 comments:

RAY J said...

Yay!!! So glad you get to go - Prom is one of those high school memories that I think everyone should have!

At my school, they did a banquet first, followed by the dance, so even if you didn't have a date, you could still go for the banquet and stick around.

Iono about DeKalb, but up here in Rockford, it's pretty common for a group of high school girls that don't have dates to go as a group together - my sister did this for a quite a few dances until she had a boyfriend to drag with her.

While I wasn't the most popular person at my high school or in my class (although it was ironic when I was made the school paper's Editor in Chief, then everyone was "nice" to me, hoping they'd get their photo or a quote in the paper, lol...), I made an effort my senior year to get involved and go to EVERYTHING, as these were memories I wanted to have and be able to share with my kids someday.

My sis is going to Jr. Prom this year - I'm going with her and my mom to Woodfield this Friday to help her look for dresses - I'm actually excited though, as dress shopping can be pretty fun (and I haven't been to Woodfield in awhile either!). Dress shopping is one thing I can't wait to do with a daughter someday!

I Love You More Than... said...

Aww I'm so happy for you!
That other guy sounds like a loser anyways.
I'll be going to prom this year too (unfortunately I don't have an amazing date).
Please post lots of pictures.

Jessi Haish said...

Thank you! And I will definitely put up pictures and blog about it too :) I hope you have an amazing time! Do you have to have a date to go? At my high school you couldn't get in without one :/ But I don't think you should have to have one to go! A lot of my friends have said it would have been amazing if they could have all gone together. Either way, I am excited for BOTH of us! Can't wait to hear about it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails