Pages

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Sister, Sister


Happy Siblings Day! This post was inspired by Melissa who posted about her sister yesterday -- now I have to blog about mine!

Where do I even start with this story? My sister was born seven years after me, so at times it has been difficult for us to have things in common or even get along. I remember the day my sister was brought home; it was pretty exciting to not be the only child anymore. Lillian (Lilly) and I couldn't be any more different either - - she is a sports fanatic playing soccer and basketball while I've spent most of my life hiding out in my room writing and reading. She calls me a nerd and I call her a little boy. It's a very loving relationship.

We both....well, we really don't have much in common. But some of my favorite memories were the times when we would play together as kids. Especially when we would play "house." Everyone else played that game, right?! We also made a mean fake store. We had a little plastic cash register and set it up to run like a store. We could play "store" for hours on end.

Considering our age gap, we never have to worry about stealing boyfriends or even running into each other at school. However, she is almost taller than me - - she's 12 and I'm 19! So we can share clothes sometimes which is nice. I love my little sister!! (And she has been asking me to blog about her for a while, so here ya go Lil! Happy Siblings Day!)

"I'm only up when you're not down.
Don't wanna fly if you're still on the ground.
It's like no matter what I do.
Well you drive me crazy half the time;
the other half I'm only trying to let you know that what I feel is true.
And I'm only me when I'm with you."
-Taylor Swift

4 comments:

lilly said...

awwwww:) thankyouuuu jessssii!!! i love youu.

Melissa Blake said...

This is beautiful, Jessi! :) You're lucky - my sister hates when I blog about her. I showed her this post, and surprisingly, she liked it! :)

I Love You More Than... said...

Aww that's so sweet!
Now I want to do a post for my little sibling.

RAY J said...

Sounds like me and my sis - there's 8.5 years between us! I was in 3rd grade when she born and while I always wanted a sibling, I was kinda bummed when all she did was pee, poop and eat - that wasn't very fun like I had imagine having a younger sibling would be!

I'd babysit her though and for the most part it went smooth, as back then Nickelodeon programming didn't suck so much, so I didn't mind watching TV with her and some kids movies are cute though...

As she's gotten older it's been nice being able to share my past experiences with her as she goes through and deals with things I did. While I pretty much reiterate what my mom tries to tell her, I think it's easier for her to hear the same thing from me, as I had the same thinking that "ugh adults don't get it" and can share what I went through, whereas it was harder for me to ever relate to my parents back then (and honestly, the more I grow up, the more I realize that "crap... mom was right! she actually DID know what she was talking about!"), so that's been neat.

And she's old enough now that we can go see movies together like Harry Potter, and "chick flicks" Josh refuses to go see or even sometimes go shopping with.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails