Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Open Letter to My Future Self

Dear Jessi,

Today is Wednesday, May 26, 2010. It's a normal day really; you're on summer vacation and you have to close at work tonight. Do you remember working today? Sex and the City 2 comes out at your theater at midnight tonight, and you got stuck closing for it, even though you openly show your affection for the Sex and the City series. Oh well, you can always see it tomorrow.

It's a normal day really, but overnight you managed to gain over 150 new blog followers (and counting, as of press time.)


Remember your blog, "The Musings of a Wannabe Star"? The blog that was on its fourth name when it finally got picked up to be a Blog of Note? Yes, that one. Do you still blog on "Musings"? Do you still blog at all? Did you manage to fully pursue the Journalism degree? I only ask because you have a history of quitting things; softball, art, soccer...none of those lasted very long.

But writing was always different for you, ever since you first dreamed about the plush chair in an open office tens of floors up, with a view of a skyline. You know, in seventh grade when you dreamed about being an editor of a magazine, you never defined that skyline. You never picked a city. I know you say now that Chicago is the greatest city in the world, but did you make it to New York? Are you in L.A. now? Are you still in the country? Or are you still in your cornfields town? These are the things I wish I knew.

Writing was always different in that it never wavered; it never changed, it never took a different route, so to speak. Your writing was always there: you could write about anything. And remember that feeling in high school when you became a part of the newspaper staff? It felt so...right. And even though you didn't know if you wanted to stick with newspapers, being on the staff and writing for people and telling their stories made you feel alive.

I wonder what you're up to these days.

If I had to give you advice here and now, at the age of nineteen sitting on my bed with my laptop burning my legs, there's one thing I'd have to say. Keep thinking big. You never thought you'd see the day where you had more than twenty blog followers. Then again, you never thought you could be editor in chief of your college paper after a year of hard work. Keep dreaming. I can honestly tell you right now that writing feels amazing, and if you can do it for the rest of your life, don't let anything stop you. Cause I'm really not sure where else you are going to find a passion like this. So I hope you're still writing. Maybe you only do so in your spare time, but I know you have the guts and passion to pursue it the whole way through. Remember, your family doesn't say you put on the "Jessi show" for no reason; you're pushy, obnoxious and borderline annoying. Use that to your advantage.

So Jessi, are you more than a Wannabe Star yet?

Love,
Me.

(P.S. Is Aerosmith still together? Did you see them in concert again? Are they still your favorite band?! I MUST know!)

30 comments:

peyton солнечность said...

i love this post :) you've just reminded me of something similar i wrote to myself a few years back, i feel like posting it now ...i may well do.

blog of note does wonderful things ;)

Christy said...

I love this! Wow - 150 followers over night? I just hit 120 and that was after 3 months of blogging! Great job!

Sarah_J_Evans said...

SUCH a good idea for a post. I must steal this idea immediately.

I mean emulate in a flattering and trend-starting way....

http://thesecretistobelieve.blogspot.com/

Leah Mraz said...

Congratulations on being a Blog of Note. I'm new to blogging but wish I started when you did. You seem similar to me 10 years ago. So keep writing and don't give it up because it seems to give you that little extra rush that everyone needs in order to feel they are going about life the right way. I look forward to reading more. :)

buiwashere. said...

G'day from Australia!
Jessi was it? My name's David, congratulations on becoming a Blog of Note! you have a very note-worthy blog indeed, I love your writing style and wish you all the best in pursuing your dreams and sincerely hope you get there one day. :)
Rock on!
ps: do you like the Chili's?

Carrie LeighAnna said...

Oh my freaking goodness, YOU'RE FABULOUS!!!

I've never ever, for any reason, ever read a blog of note before. I don't even know why I looked today. But can I please tell you... I love you? Because I do. Sorry if it's too soon. But sometimes you just know. You know?

Erica said...

You're a very good writer. I like your style.

Lydia said...

This is one of the best "Dear Future Me" letters I've read. You are a wonderful writer.

Thank you for becoming my big #150th follower! That felt great this afternoon...nearly as fun as winning BON (and I am not holding my breath for that!).

Claire said...

Really enjoyed reading this. Best of luck, it sounds like you do have the drive to achieve whatever you want!

Deidra said...

Congratulations on making Blogs of Note! I another one of those people who found you from randomly clicking the link from there.

This is a wonderful post. :) I love the first picture in it, too. It's lovely.

Caitlin said...

I love your blog! How were you able to become a blog of note? any advice? Your writing style is really great- and I love this idea of writing to your future self, maybe I will do it myself, is that alright haha

check out my blog
hi-mynameiscaitlin.blogspot.com

Levonne said...

That's our wanna be star!! Go for it!

Stop by when you have time. http://levonneandjohnscaliforniaodyssey.blogspot.com/

Staci said...

I'm a new reader, too. I'll definitely be back to read more. :)
I wrote a letter to myself awhile back, too, but I'm pretty sure it isn't as beautifully written as yours. Great writing.

Chusnul Khairuddin said...

Congrats for that "Blog of Note". At the first time, I thought you were so lucky. But then I changed my mind. It must because of "keep thinking big".

Oh, and I wanna ask you one question, the pictures in this post, dis you take it by yourself? I love it. :)

Chusnul Khairuddin said...

... and sorry for deleting my comment on your "I'm Grinning Ear to Ear". I supposed to write a new one, but my internet connection was getting down, so I was unable to do that. hope you'll understand. :))

Candice said...

this is so cute :) I love the way you write, im sure ive written plenty of letters to myself before.

really like your blog :)
xx

http://perthfashionista.blogspot.com

Jen said...

This is really nice :) Really such a good idea, I'm considering writing one myself now. :)

Oh, and I'm sure you will be a star ;)

Gabrielle said...

Jessi,

You truly deserve to be blog of note, I can not begin to tell you how much I've enjoyed reading your posts! You are very entertaining and you have a fabulous take on life!
I think if you and I ever met we'd get along..... Except I live on another continent lol
Have fun sitting and burning your legs while I sit and watch the rain from my window- and please keep writing because it's truly wonderful reading the world according to you :)
Gabby

http://the-greatdate-experiment.blogspot.com

Jessi Haish said...

Thanks! You guys are all too sweet. And I promise I will be stopping by all of your blogs, just give me some time! :) Thanks for stopping by and commenting; it means the world to me :D

lotsqu said...

Hi Jessi!

Greetings from Finland.
I found your blog and I gotta say it's amazing! I love
your way to see the world and things you're interested in. I'm almost same age as you are and I think your life seems pretty cool. Just keep writing and making my days full of relaxing moments with your blog.
It's too bad you can't read mine because it's in finnish. (like you even had time :D) But I promise I will move to your country someday and learn more about your language.
Hugs! :)

lotsqu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AnooT said...

THK U
U inspite me ;)
i hav no idea to strart write diary !
u r gorgrous !

Ashton King said...

This sounds so much like me from high school to college it's not even funny (even the part about sometimes being pushy and slightly annoying). I'm not in a print journalism career right now -I'm actually working as a producer for a tv station but it's ok because all I do is write! My dream to this day still lies in magazine editorship.

ajib said...

amazing

Miss Jetson said...

Hi

You rite...keep dreaming big and your small town might just turn into another Tinseltown!!!

Miss Jetson

Check out my blog...today its aboyt Jenna Jameson.

Anonymous said...

Congrats.

Jennifer said...

Fantastic post. I've never looked at the blogs of note before, and I'm not really sure why I did the other day, but I'm glad that I did.

Good luck to you in your future, and I hope you accomplish all the goals that you have set for yourself.

I, too, dreamed of being the editor of a magazine when I grew up. I, too, and a music junkie and someone who loves to write. I, too, am someone who never really finished what she started.

So, dream big and do your best to follow through with your dreams. Not that the other path is bad. I'm just a 30 something mother who is still a wannabe photographer and writer trying to make her dreams come true. But, I'll never give those dreams up.

I'm looking forward to following your blog and seeing where your road takes you.

claire=) said...

I would have to say you're a great writer. You really are. And I admire you for that.

I'm so inspired with your blogs. Really.

Keep it up. Congratulations on being the "Blog of Note". :D

Everything Tati said...

Your an amazing writer, I love your style. I find I am captured by your stories and thoughts and you paint a clear picture of what you are saying in a most amazing way.

XeL said...

This is great! And you sound awesome!!! I shall definitely be a follower

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails