Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

The Prom Conclusion

Well, prom (my first and only) was a success. My amazing boyfriend Chris and I had a fabulous time dancing the night away. Instead of doing the usual take-by-take of the night, which you have most likely seen on a million other blogs, I've decided to post my observations (being the journalist I am) of the night instead.

Expensive salon trip to prepare for prom? I don't think so. My aunt did my hair and make-up! Much more fun to spend time with her than sit in a stuffy salon.

Awkward pre-prom pics by the family? A must. Until they follow you around with cameras and claim to be "like the paparazzi...." *cough * cough * Mom...

"Wannabe" by the Spice Girls is the perfect song to drag your boyfriend out on the floor to...only to serenade him with it at the top of your lungs while jumping up and down. It was your favorite song at the age of nine, after all!
Veterans of prom (a.k.a. Chris and others) have heard rumors that the prom food is gross and will make one....well, gassy. Going out to dinner in a cute little Italian restaurant before is the way to go. Then, while everyone else is eating dinner at prom, you can create pictures and write cute sentiments out of the table confetti.

Think just because you're a returning alumni to your school you'll be the only one from your graduating class at the prom? Think again. A large number of your class will be in attendance; the majority of them people you've experienced scuffles with in the past or do not tolerate at all. Alas, keeping your cool is the route most desired.Going back to a high school function is like looking into a zoo exhibit. Even though I've only been out a year, I could definitely take a step back and see what it was like, and how dramatic some things could seem. And yes, some of those dance moves out there were pretty 'animalistic' as well...

Slow songs are not to be expected in heavy rotation, so it is best to dance for every one. Be sure to remember every single song that played. It's oh-so romantic. Surely turned this girl into a sap.
Cold after prom? Ahh, a tuxedo jacket keeps one nice and toasty...and looks very trendy over a fancy prom dress.

Partying, drinking and other stereotypical post-prom "activities?" Not so much. Hanging out with friends and having a good time at the school's post-prom is definitely much more fun and much more likely to be a favorable memory.
Men wearing garters on their wrists at the post-prom? I thought it looked less than classy, but to each his own.

Going to an Imax theater and spending the entire day together the day after prom? Very cool.

And finally...

I may have been a college student at a high school prom. I may have never had a date for dances in high school. I may have always been unfortunate when it comes to love. But once you find something that feels so right, you have to let your guard down and run with it. My first and only prom being during my time in college, I may have not been the most conventional guest, but I surely felt the luckiest. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect date or a more amazing night. And even though I had to wait for the right time, which was this time, I couldn't be happier. Good things come to those who wait! I am one lucky girl.

7 comments:

Melissa Blake said...

LOVE this post - and the pictures!!

Jessi Haish said...

Thank you!

Liesl said...

I am so glad your first and only prom was a success, Jessi!

I really enjoyed looking at your pics and reading about the experience and you and Chris are adorable! I never went to prom...so that was extra fun! :)

Thanks so much for stopping by my site and for the sweet comment too!

Liesl :)

Len♥reNeverM♥re said...

Jessi, you look stunning in that dress~ beautiful couple guys!
LOL on family paparazzi~

Jessi Haish said...

Aww thank you! :)

Roosterruler said...

Beautiful!

LizzieGirl said...

Soooo adorable, I emailed you a sec ago, trying to figure out how to comment (sorry blonde moment, i didnt see the comment tab) but you looked stunning, and it seemed incredible. Glad you had fun :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails