Pages

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

If We Were a Movie...

When I was sixteen, I was frantically searching for a job so I could afford to visit my best friend on the East Coast for a few weeks in the summer. After twelve applications at random locations around town, my thirteenth try seemed to work. (It's very hard to find jobs around here when you're incredibly close to a college town.)
The place that actually called me up for an interview? The local movie theater. I've briefly mentioned before that I work at one, but other than that I haven't dived much into it. Because I've been there since I was sixteen (three years) the place has sort of, grown up with me so to speak. I've had a lot of major life things happen while I've been employed there, and I don't consider it to be a regular job since I've had so many memories there. There's a reason people say you could make a movie out of all the drama and things going on at the theater.

I have had some of my first major crushes (coworkers) there and I met my first boyfriend there. I almost took one coworker to prom, and then went with one this year (my boyfriend.) I have helped best friends get hired there, I've stopped being best friends because of things that went down that were semi-work related. But then again I have made many new close friends (some I consider best friends) that I would not have met otherwise. Nothing like not dipping the pen in the company ink, am I right?Just kidding. But seriously, you may be thinking, why is she blogging about her job? A job that some call the "stoner's job" or the "easiest job in the world?" Well, that place has grown on me, and I have really good memories with it. I love it! Besides that, I wasn't sure what else to blog about today, and I have to go to work soon, so I thought, why not.

I think if you would have asked me three years ago what my perfect, part-time dream job would have been, I never would have said the movie theater. I honestly don't even watch movies. My coworkers are always making fun of me because I've never seen classics (what can I say? I have no desire to watch movies like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings.)
But in my weirdness, I think that place has left a mark on me, and I've left my mark on it (besides the fact that I'm always breaking something there.) I've gone through quite a bit of my teen years there, and I've some had crazy experiences there. But maybe that's how it was unconventionally supposed to work out. And now that I look back on it, I think I got pretty lucky with this job. What an awesome first job!

Yes, I have to wear a terrible vest and bow tie, and yes, free movies are definitely compensation.

What was your first job? What about coworker shenanigans, anyone? Or is that just me...


Photos via (We Heart it)

17 comments:

Chrissy said...

My girls couldn't even get a job at a movie theatre- all nepotism out here! lol.. My first was working for the Broadway Dept. Store which is now defunk... I was in the gift wrapping dept..omg.. I learned how to deal w/crabby, shi**y people at holidays.. People would bribe us w/money to get their packages wrapped before other people... They are at their worst during any of the major holidays... The job from HELL!. There was a stock guy who also doubled as someone who would bring us gift boxes from the storage area, had no clue he had a major crush on me... he lived down the street... well nothing came of it.. he didn't have the balls to even try to ask me out!. lol

Jessi Haish said...

haha I love it!

sophie isabelle said...

I'm still in my first part time job, like yourself.
Ehh. I work in a hardware/DIY store. It's bloody awful.

Brooklyn Book Lover said...

My husband has worked at a movie theater for almost 25 years. He started when he was 16 and like you, he says the place "left a mark on him". He no longer works there full time since becoming an EMT but still works two days per week. He says it is the best job he ever had. The crazy characters you meet, the good friends you make and the laughs you have give you memories to last a lifetime. He is not a "movie" person either and often asks ME what is playing in the movies!
Enjoy your job at the theater. It will bring you smiles years from now when you think back to this time.

Levonne said...

My first real job was when I was 11. I stayed away from home and caretook an elderly woman. It was quite the experience! Its one of the things I attempt to write about but have not satisfied myself yet (with the writing). First jobs are important and impactful. Keep on writing (and watching movies). Thanks.

Bonnie Butcher said...

My first job was at a small-town grocery store. My nametag said "courtesy clerk" but all I really did was stock the shelves and bag groceries. I didn't get any cool perks such as free movies, but I did have to wear an ugly maroon apron. I loved it.

Also, I love your blog. I've only recently started following it but I'm finding I relate to a LOT of the things you write. Such as the feelings of your first job. Keep writing!

Caitlin said...

My first job was at a comic book store. It was very interesting to say the least. But I actually ended up loving it, too bad the owners were crazy so I decided to quit.

nini :D said...

that's hilarious! i have a few more years until i encounter my first job but i hope to work at hottopic. that would be pretty awesome. :D

The Words Crafter said...

My first job was at a daycare in 1979, before all the laws and star ratings. The center was non-profit and geared toward very low income families....wow, I saw some really sad situations there that still break my heart. Some of those kids I still worry about today...

Natalie said...

my first job was working for my dad in his office with my mom who was the bookkeeper. i was 14.

my first outside of the family job was a coffee shop at school. i love being a barista and have blogged about my job a few times lol.

but my best friend in high school worked at a local movie theater and she loved it. she met crazy people there and had an awesome time. idk what it is about movie theaters, but there's always fun and there's always drama :)

Amy Inferno said...

first job... an awful call center doing shitty marketing calls, four shifts a week, and interestingly enough, four is the number of months that the paycheck was late. :D

after couple of years of job horrors, I just want to be employed in science or art, and that s that. :D

Lydia said...

I loved this post about your first job. I'm going to send a link to it to the mayor of my town, who just happens to be co-owner of the Palace Theatre here. He, like you, worked at that theater when he was growing up in this town. I've heard that he decided early on that he wanted to own it one day. Here is the link to the Palace Theatre.
btw, our mayor (who was a friend long before his change) also happens to be the first transgender mayor in the U.S. Here's an article about him and you can google for photos. I thought the writer in you would find his personal story quite interesting!

My first job was after I graduated from HS, for those three months prior to college. It was at a place called Pittsburgh-Des Moines Steel, and I replaced a woman who was out on maternity leave. I input steel orders into a huge IBM mainframe (after some training from my marvelous co-worker). My desk was right by the sliding window connected to the warehouse/plant, so the guys could give me order forms. It was fast-paced and fascinating; I loved the people and will always remember them, especially my co-worker whose name was Carol. Two years later she died tragically with her husband and young son while camping at Pyramid Lake in Nevada. Their teen daughters decided not to sleep in the camper and slept that night in sleeping bags out on the desert ground. The next morning they found their family dead from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a small heater. I left a college class to attend the funeral, and it was an awful day.

Heavenly Hellion said...

Girl, we've got a strange connection going here. I posted just today about Jamey Johnson (your country music post), and I worked at my small town movie theatre through most of junior high and high school. Free movies, pop and popcorn rocked! I didn't have to wear a uniform, and I got paid cash :)My little theatre is now defunct. The multiplex outside of town took over.

Sunny Insomniac said...

Jessi,
Admittedly, it made me a little sad when you wrote that you had never seen Star Wars. A little part of my heart broke off, shriveled up and died.
Speaking of differing tastes; how come people get up in arms when they disagree on things like politics, but they don't care if one person likes, say, peanut butter, but another hates it?
Just a random thought.
I forgot my anti-random pill this morning.
My first job was airbrush tattooing at our theme park, Fiesta Texas. It sounded like a cool job at first, I mean, tattoos, art, what's not to like? I soon realized how naive I was.
A rose on the side of a woman's cleavage (wear deodorant...please), a twenty inch full coverage dragon on the back of a man...the hairy back of a man.
Ah, theme parks. They are tourist cities populated with their own special people.
Don't get me wrong, I honestly like theme parks, if not just for the people watching, but I would never, ever work there again.
Thanks for sharing. Always fun to read.
~Sunny Insomniac

AmandaRose said...

I LOVED my first job! Started when I was sixteen, dated my first bad boy rocker, met my best friend, dated my best friend and fell in love with my best friend there. And even though it was no longer a Schlotzsky's I became engaged to my best friend and love of my life there! First jobs are awesome! I miss it dearly!

Le Cygne Rouge said...

My first job (and I have now) is at a small coffee shop that is by two doctor offices. The people who typically stop and order something is either parents with little kids who are still crying from getting a shot or emotional pregnant women. I love my job though since I work alone during the slowest hours of the week so can do my homework or read a book and I can experiment with the several different flavors and ingredients to choose from. Also the place is so cute and cozy. It looks like you stepped into an Italian coffee shop.

Henna said...

In India, you won't believe its rather gross and down-market to work at coffee shops, book stores and the likes..Not like we are a rich country..So my first job was at the age of fifteen..People my types usually give tutions to kids..So I did the same as that's acceptable at the most out here..

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails