Pages

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

If You Wanna Be a Good Girl Get Yourself a Bad Boy.

Sigh. Thinking about it, I've probably done every stereotypical thing a teenage girl could do. Well, almost. But one thing I do have to fess up to? Falling for the average 'bad boy.' Yup, been there, done that.
And of course, I swore he was different when we first started talking well over a year ago. I could hang out with him, he would smoke cigarettes by the dozen, play his guitar, and contemplate life with me. We would sit at the end of his (grandma's) driveway into the wee hours of the morning discussing life, love, our similar music taste and everything else. I looked past the fact that when we weren't spending time together, he was doing less-than-admirable things (he was attempting to mimic the rock star lifestyle, basically.) I was "blinded by love" or whatever else ridiculous thing you'd like to call it. That or the fact that he listened to classic rock, had long hair, wore a leather jacket and jammed in various high school bands (he was a high school drop out.)

Now, you have to be thinking what I'm thinking now. Jessi, you're smarter than that! You've always known you deserve only the best! That's why you held out until you find the perfect boyfriend before you committed to a relationship!
But, no. We all go through phases of complete stupidity. Now, I can hope to stop you from shaking your head by telling you that I did not kiss that boy. That was something I never brought myself to do. We hugged and held hands, but I never let things go farther than that. Maybe it was the conscience in me screaming that this just would never work. It couldn't ever work. My oh my, am I glad something clicked in my head.

The epilogue to this story? One day the word relationship emerged from somewhere, and I think we both freaked out. However, he went on the rant of something along the lines of "well, I'm a drifter... I don't know if you could handle my lifestyle.... I don't even know what's gonna happen when I hit it big time...."
And I got pissed. Not because I was hurt, but because I was angry at myself. I was following around this Wannabe rock star (not as cool as me being a Wannabe Star.) I was interested in this guy who thought he was going to make it big time. A guy who thought the sun shined out his ass and thought that someday soon he'd be the next Slash. Not so much. I was humiliated that I had been along for the ride to pump up such an ego. And since he was acting so cocky, I let him have it.

Probably not my most mature move, but I told him that he was a sleaze and whatnot, and that we wouldn't work out even if he gave up the pipe dream. He was supposed to be the stereotypical bad boy, but he was a stereotypical lame-ass. I couldn't believe myself.

In short, things didn't end on the best note (no pun intended.) I still roll my eyes now when I hear Guns N Roses, but I'm sort of glad I got my "bad-boy" phase out of the way early. I'd hate to see myself go down that road at an older age.
So what is it about bad boys? Why is it that we're caught in a temporary coma when it comes to these guys? Maybe as a Steven Tyler fangirl, I thought that maybe I'd find myself in that lifestyle down the road. Haha, doubtful. But still, we've all been there, done that....right? Temporary lapse of judgment, anyone?

Photos via (We Heart It)

22 comments:

Melissa Blake said...

Ahhh, loved this post! I did one on the same topic about a year ago...i think it all goes back to wanting to see the good guy underneath that rough exterior, you know?

Claire said...

Yup, been there done that. Although I wasn't as smart as you, took me a lot longer to get out. I guess I wanted to feel special, he was a bad boy to everyone but me, I could change him, help him...

Totally not worth it. Well done for realising that early!

Defiant Princess said...

Love it!
Its true, we MUST fall for a bad guy atleast once.. just to know how True love feels like ;)
Keep Rocking!

Lace. said...

Amazing blog. I love this topic. I dont quiet have this problem. Mines more with choosing the bad girls. Haha. And trust me either are good. But great post!

Chrissy said...

It's because we know we shouldn't but we do.. We want to prove people as well as ourselves that we are right and they are wrong... My last relationship, I ended this Jan. and it lasted 4 1/2 yrs... everyone told me and hinted that things weren't right... I kept coming up w/excuses, he kept saying he would work on himself.... In the end I had to be the one to see it and make the decision ... We all want what we can't have... Its natural. Its all part of life lessons...

LoperDoper said...

Awwww

Molly said...

I also can relate to this post. I went down that road once. It was one of the most memorable experiences in my life, and I hope that I am never dumb enough to put myself in that type of situation again.

Manner and Mode said...

Oh them Bad Boys...
It's just so tempting to go for this guy who seems to be the coolest thing going, Hes chilled, Hes uber confident, and Hes probably absoloutely Gorgeous.

Sadly tho, thats just what we see, the poor victims of their charms, the REAL ''bad boy'' is probably a stuck up, waste of space, a-hole, who isnt gonna treat you right at all...

Ans still, I never, ever learn! :P

Kassandra said...

it is soo ture,

but I think i may know the reason girls fall for these guys. Us girls really do have a things for trying to mend things, its just our kind loving instinct, and when we do meet these guys they usually do need help and a direction in their life. subconsciously we believe we can fix all their problems and be happy doing it, what we fail to realize is that these guys put themselves (most of the time) in the situations we find them in, and really don`t care for change. Thus we end up getting hurt,...or just extremely pissed off!

I am definitely guilty for trying to save the world, and i don't think i will ever learn.....

Levonne said...

Thanks for sharing that! I think we humans/women may have a piece of us that isn't all formed and confident at any given time and that part might be attracted to the flame (you know like a moth to flame). After the piece of us gets worked out, we can more on. Some of us stay in the bad place with the bad boys way too long!

Bookish.Spazz said...

If only the bad boys weren't so darn cute!

Nice guys are... well nice, but the bad boys take risks, make the first move, and have this self confidence that most girls could never dream of having---- which makes them come off as super sexy.

Liv said...

I admire all your posts!! They are so interesting and keep me reading! thanks :)

staci said...

you live, you learn. nice guys get a bad rep sometimes! but I think they're the best, haha.

matt said...

This is really good, from the heart. It'd be awesome if you had the time to check out my blog.
http://cabbagestories.blogspot.com

Sunny Insomniac said...

Jessi!

Dude, you never fail to deliver. Loved this post. Your ability to look at a personal situation and judge it so maturely with witty, wise and ironic commentary, is priceless.

Bad boys never held any sway for me. Maybe I'm weird, but I'm just not a fan of ego. Confidence yes. Ego no. Ego is just a bloated and distorted view of oneself used to mask insecurities.
Or whatever.

Glad to read that you didn't fall prey to his mad skills with the ladies.

Love it! Keep writing!

~Sunny Insomniac

thenaiveblogger said...

Nice post ! You know what they say...You have to date a lot of Mr.Wrongs before you find your Mr.Right :)

Lunar Eclipse said...

Interesting read

Ashton King said...

I think we look at the parts of the bad boy we wish we had more of. I'm sure at the time of my bad boy phase I considered him strong for going against everyone and everything. And it didn't hurt that he looked a little like Johnny Depp, LOL. As long as you don't get swept away by it, it's most definitely a learning experience I think every girl should have.

N. said...

Wow i really enjoyed this post!I always seem to be attracted to the bad boy stereotype! it must be one of those cliche teenager experiences! love the blog and will defenetly be following! would love for you to follow back :)http://a-teenage-state-of-mind.blogspot.com/

Jannath said...

oooh great post! i think most girls go through that phase of loving the bad boy.... Lord knows I've "been there done that". But eventually we all learn what it is that we're truly looking for. I compromised w/ myself. Found a great guy with a bad boy side to him that comes out now and then when it counts.

Erica said...

Oh, the allure of a bad boy. Hmm, the baddest boy I went out with: college, he was a "rollerblader" (it was the mid 90's). He was a hot and Greek. I was flattered that he liked little 'ol me. My English professor hated him so much that she pulled me aside and offered me the option of doing the work at home and not having to come to class! LOL, she was trying to split us up. Eventually, we split up on our own. It was exciting while it lasted.

Erica said...

Notice all my typos? I get nervous just thinking about him!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails