Pages

Sunday, June 13, 2010

New Spin on the Mix CD

My dear friend Monika who lives too far away for my own good (we actually met in a very non-traditional way - that's a story for a rainy day) sent me the most amazing package yesterday. You all know how much I love mix CDs: I love making them, listening to them, writing about them, but most of all receiving them. I love to hear what other people put together. Monika put a new twist on the art of mix CDs, and I thought you'd all like to check it out, maybe even try it out! I know it made my day.

As Monika and I just finished our first year in college (she on the East Coast, I in the Midwest,) she used one CD to chronicle her first year of school, and a second CD to create a summer playlist. Included was four pages of liner notes, so to speak; each song with a description of the decision-making process and what it means to her. So amazing! Personal anecdotes on the sides made me smile.
In her own words: "I gave you a step-by-step guide of my everday life in A) college and B) in the summer."

She told me to try and enjoy her "weird music" as she has an ecclectic taste and as you know, I'm a fan of the classics. I can't wait to sit down and listen to these songs as I read her personal notes about each one! This is probably the most thoughtful package I've ever received. Inspirational, much?
P.S. I've decided to include her playlist for Summer 2010. What do you guys think? I personally don't know most of these songs, haha :)

Monika's Summer 2010 Playlist

Deadbeat Summer - Neon Indian
Wake Up - Arcade Fire
Us - Regina Spektor
Postcards from Italy - Beirut
Big Jet Plane - Angus & Julia Stone
Let's Go Surfing - The Drums
Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys
Summer Nights - Grease
Beach Comber - Real Estate
Motorcycle Drive By - Third Eye Blind
Brother Sport - Animal Collective
Electric Feel (Justice Remix) - MGMT
Ce Jeu - Yelle
1901 - Phoenix
Warm Heart of Africa - The Very Best
You Got What I Need - Biz Markie
I'll Make a Man Out of You - Mulan
What Ever Happened - The Strokes
The Next Time Around - Little Joy
Sweet Disposition - The Temper Trap
White Sky - Vampire Weekend
You and Your Heart - Jack Johnson (Which she dubs the summer song of 2010!)

16 comments:

The Words Crafter said...

Wow, I've only heard of three of those songs and they're from movies! It should be interesting for you, to say the least. I'm glad the two of you find ways to share and be together. Including the reasons for the choices and what they mean-what a cool idea. I create all kinds of mixes to go with my different moods...have fun listening!

Cortney said...

She sounds like a really cool friend. (: I don't know but three of those artists either. I should look them up, I'm curious as to what they sound like.

Chrissy said...

I'm a JJ fan... Love that last song... I have to agree it is the song of summer. unfortunately the title and words remind me of u-know-who and Oahu....

Elise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elise said...

Love, love your friends mix!!! Love majority of the bands listed. She obviously has great taste in music! :)

twirl unabashedly said...

ooh!! i randomly did that exact same thing for a friend last year, and i had so much fun doing it.

i'm familiar with about half of the artists. your friend should be my friend too.

Kara said...

I love Wake Up

Sarah_J_Evans said...

That's a FAB idea - I love it. And so much time and effort must have gone into making it for you.

What a cool friend.

Sarah.

http://thesecretistobelieve.blogspot.com/

Sarah_J_Evans said...

That's a FAB idea - I love it. And so much time and effort must have gone into making it for you.

What a cool friend.

Sarah.

http://thesecretistobelieve.blogspot.com/

g.loverly said...

Angus and Julia Stone are Australian!!!!

Teresa said...

I can't wait to look up your friends music-some I knew most, I didn't.
I've met a couple of people recently that don't drink and I am impressed that they will stick to their beliefs and not let peer pressure sway them to try it. I would prefer to say that it might be your exercise in will power that your friends like (wishing they could honor theirs); not that you guilt to stop or not drink.
Stay true to yourself sweetie!

Levonne said...

What a great friendship! You live such a fun fascinating life!

Sunny Insomniac said...

Dear Jessi,

You have a very cool friend! Cherish her because friends like that are so rare.

This is such a great idea. I love how personal Monika made it. To me, that is what matters. Finding out the way people think and feel helps you understand, and then love them even more.

I am planning on doing something similar with my best friend who is moving up to North Dakota because "she has to see about a boy." (Movie quote, anyone?) Anyway, we love watching movies together IF we get to talk/laugh during them, so I told her that we could have a "girl's night out" twice a month (or more!), where we would sit down with our laptops and skype each other while watching a movie. That way we can talk and laugh together and feel like we're watching it in the same room.

Good friends are hard to find, harder to keep, but sweeter with time. Monika sounds awesome.
Enjoy your new playing list from such a sweet friend! :)

~Sunny Insomniac

P.S.
Thanks for the encouragement! I am psyched about the novel...now we shall see how publishing goes! I'm just glad the rough draft is done finally...

Heather Taylor said...

This mix is too cool for words. You have a great friend!

Kendra said...

Some good tunes on there.

Sweet Disposition is definitely on my summer mix. The whole album is amazing, but sounds exactly like a U2 album.

I also love making mix cds especially for other people.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I know you're likely going to think this is spam. And so be it, I guess that's the chance I take. But, I found your blog by doing a google search of "love mix cds".

Well, I'm the hostess of a group of about 45 people who swap mix cds for fun and to be introduced to new music and to get to know each other. Some of the swaps are challenges (scavenger hunts) and the one we have going right now is crazy easy and it's just a swap of bands that start with The (Beatles, Mavericks, you get the drift).

Anyway, long story short I decided to see if I could hunt out some new participants and came across your blog.

If this is of interest to you at all please feel free to email me at mixcdsforall@yahoo.ca and I'll pass on more details.

Cynthia

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails