Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Poem to the Grandmother I Never Had

Well, I found my writing portfolio in the attic the other day - - my compilation of essays, papers, etc. from the 8th grade to the 11th grade. It's interesting to say the least. I'm having a lot of fun looking through everything (a lot of laughs) but one thing that really got me was a poem I had written in a creative writing class my sophomore year. Mind you, it's not the greatest writing, but the message is very clear. It still burns that same way today, and that's why I'm posting this oldie. Here's my poem, from the depths of time, so to speak. It reminds me of the Open Letters I write, and maybe that's why reading it to this day still stings.


An Ode to The Grandmother I Never Had
What did I ever do?
Did I say something wrong,
Or do something you disapprove?
Things were fine for a few years,
'Till one day you turned --
Turned cold as ice
And bitter as an old,
Withered,
Acerbic green apple.
Heck, we never even stood a chance,
To be loved by you,
To be cared for by you,
You just didn't have
The heart at all.
Now, you sit
In that lonely old house
A mere street away,
Yet you don't have for us
Any attention or the time of day.
I despise you
With such an unnatural hate and misunderstanding,
No, I hardly know you;
But these feelings
Are far too great.
Photo Via (We Heart It)

6 comments:

Melissa Blake said...

Jessi, that is so beautiful and real and honest! Kudos to you!

The Words Crafter said...

It's interesting, lately I've found several people who have issues with a grandmother....including me. I think it's a great piece of writing-real and honest, capturing the bitter regret and hurt...maybe one day you'll post about it...

Chrissy said...

I am sorry u did not have the relationship u wanted w/your grandmother... And from the comment above, I could be in the minority.. My grandma lived a block away..and I was always at her house... We were like sisters... She was my mother's mother... and my mother had quirks that my grandma would talk about to me.. She taught me to sew, she was the only one I knew that made me my baby clothes because my parents were poor... She invested in a snap tool that she could add to my clothes.. The same snap u see on baby clothes... She could look at my Barbie clothes and copy them...My grandma lived till she was 96 and she was healthy.. I miss her to this day.

Erica said...

Sounds like my grandmother

Insomniac said...

That was wonderful, it was so raw and full of emotion that I think anyone reading could feel like they knew what was going on even if they had not experienced it themselves. Brilliant poem!

Teresa said...

Some people we will never understand. I am sorry for your Grandma - she will never know the wonderful person you are. What a horrible loss that she may never realize...
I count my blessings every day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails