Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Interview With: My Music Soul Mate

I had the absolute pleasure of catching up with one of my best friends from high school, Paige, who joined the Air Force after graduation and is now located in Montana (so far away!) When I was talking to Paige about an interview, she quickly knew exactly what she wanted to talk about: MUSIC, a passion we both share. Although our tastes are different, I consider her my musical soul mate because of the way we enjoy our sounds. That and the fact that we spent a good chunk of high school driving around in my wagon with the windows down, Slurpees in hand and the music up....
Who are you? :)
PG: I am Paige Lynn Garrett, and I'm great.

You wanted to discuss music. What would you consider your musical credentials?
PG: Well I started by playing the oboe for...nine years. Give or take. And by playing music, making music, instead of only listening, I've learned to respect the sounds that I hear so much more. There's something that comes with the ability to create music. I can't pinpoint how to say it.

What are your favorite bands?
PG: Oh god...uh. Too many. Top choice of all time is The Who. I have a huge soft spot for them. More recently, Ben Folds, Cage the Elephant, Guster, John Mayer, and M.I.A, among many others.

How would you define music as part of your life? What role does it play?
PG: Music is like therapy. There are songs for when I'm happy, there are songs for when I'm sad. I love the interpretation that comes with a new song. Every occasion has a genre, an artist, a song.

What's your choice of song for Summer 2010?
PG: I don't know. Mostly because I don't know what came out this summer. My pick? Regardless of when it came out? "Ain't No Easy Way" by the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

Who are some of the most underrated/overrated artists?
PG: Definitely all the folky music I like is underrated. People get folk and twang mixed up. Ben Kweller definitely deserves to be more famous than he is. Overrated music is a different story. See, I think the US has just adopted this theory that whoever makes the best music video and flashes the most money at the screen in said video is the best artist. My theory on this whole overrated/underrated debate is, people who don't have as much talent are higher in the echelon, and the people with more talent are always struggling. Don't ask me why it's that way. It just seems to be the pattern.

What's one song everyone should know?
PG: "My Generation" by The Who. Total empowerment song. Total badass song of the century.

Do you make mix CDs? How?
PG: YES. I love making mixes. I think of a category of music, and just start picking songs to make into a play list. For my road trip to Washington last month, I made three. One was called "STAY AWAKE!!" and it was full of all these crazy loud songs like "Bad Reputation" by Joan Jett and "Salute Your Solution" by The Raconteurs. The next was "Belt it Out," which was full of all the music that I know by heart and could, in turn, belt out accordingly. Finally, the third was called "Just Good Music." That one's self-explanatory.

Do you play any instruments?
PG: Yep. Just the oboe and the flute :)
Do you have a soundtrack for your life? What does it include?
PG: No. There's no soundtrack. Just whatever music makes its way to me. I don't plan the music in my life, because I don't plan my life. I mean, look at me, I'm in the damn Air Force. A year and a half ago, I could not have told you I would be here, but I'm so glad I am.

Who is your musical role model?
PG: Ben Folds. I was only half as nerdy as him growing up, and look at him. He's AWESOME. I mean, I already know that my first dance at my wedding is going to be to one of his songs. And I don't even know if I'll ever get married :)

What's the Montana music scene like? :)
PG: There's not one. Oh, but STYX is going to be at the fair. That might be worth checking out.

What was the first album you bought?
PG: Cassette. $7. Hanson. F Yeah.

Where do you think you got your passion for music?
PG: This is tough. I don't know. I do know that from an early age, I didn't necessarily know the words in music, but I listened to the beat and the notes and made my judgment of the song that way. This is probably where my musical instrument inclination came from. My dad was always listening to old music, like the Dead, The Who, Jim Croce, The Doors, I could go on and on. I think that's why I still listen to them.

How does music fit in your day-to-day routine?
PG: I wouldn't have a routine if it weren't for music. I always have my iTunes playing in the background. Usually on shuffle, sometimes on a particular artist depending on my mood. This morning for example, I was feeling really good after my workout, so I listened to Vampire Weekend.

Through your years of experience, give us your musical wisdom in a few sentences or less.
PG: Music changes people's lives. It changed mine. Let the notes and the lyrics take your day in a new direction.

How much do you miss jamming in my party wagon? I sure do.
PG: I miss jamming in your party wagon almost as much as Mel Gibson hates the world. Which is a lot.

Anything else musical related, please? This was difficult to come up with questions for.
PG: And equally as difficult to respond to. I just want to say, music is really important to people. You can learn a lot about someone through their taste in music. Everything in my life has a song to go along with it.
Oh, maybe you could make a play list list for the end? Love youuuu.
PG: Haha yeah, here are all the songs on my most recent mix, titled "Therapy Jams."

1. I Know What I Am-Band of Skulls
2. St. Andrews -Bedouin Soundclash
3. Wasted and Ready-Ben Kweller
4. 10 a.m Automatic-Black Keys
5. Ain't No Easy Way-Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
6. Jaron & Ellie-Brother Divide
7.Furr-Blitzen Trapper
8. Let Me Beat Your Eardrum-Cage the Elephant
9. What's the Attitude - Cut Chemist Remix
10. Cigarello-The Fratellis
11. It Won't be Long- The Hives
12. Galang-M.I.A
13. Miss Magnolia-Matt Costa
14. Gold Guns Girls-Metric
15. Handbags and Gladrags-Stereophonics (The oboe solo at the beginning is AMAZING in this)
16. Dream Weaver- Gary Wright
17. Won't Get Fooled Again-The Who

:) Enjoy.

4 comments:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Nice mix.

Linz said...

nice interview! i'm definitely going to check out some of the songs on that list.

UjSen said...

Interviewing a high school friend with a great music taste....and he plays the Oboe!!! Who would've thought! Wonderful post. Brilliant, loved it!

RAY J said...

Oooh another oboe player!! I love meeting oboe players, as it seems to be such an obscure instrument... for some reason I couldn't get any noise out of the single reed instruments or the flute though! Gimme a double reed though and the sound comes right out =)

Just curious, do you know she came to play the oboe?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails