Pages

Thursday, July 01, 2010

Prison Cell

Another poem from the archives. Although I was fifteen and describing a prison cell that to this day I am unsure of, I still remember this like I wrote it only yesterday.

Prison Cell
This prison cell surrounds me,
Day after day.
I sit here in my solitude,
With my habits I can't break.
~~
I try and I try
Yet there's
No peace I've ever known.
I'm callin', I'm cryin'
Breakin' out of my heart of stone.
~~
Teardrops tumble round me,
Like a rusty water fountain.
I've got a hill to climb,
I've got an entire mountain.
~~
Oh, I try and I try,
Yet I make the same mistakes.
I sit back and watch
As my heart
Crumbles and breaks.
~~
I've got to get out of here,
Do whatever it takes
But this prison of solitude
Is the only home I've ever known.
As I sit here and crack open
My heart of stone.
~~
Heart of stone,
Heart of stone,
In this prison cell I roam.
There is no inner peace,
None that I've ever known.
~~
Heart of stone,
Heart of stone,
Yet I call this place my own.


Photo Via (We Heart It)

6 comments:

Ella said...

That is absolutely wonderful.

If found my old creative writing binder I think I'd bury it so no one else could read it.

Props for doing this.
I guess it helps you write beautifully. :]

Have a wonderful day!

Molly said...

Oh my gosh...you won't believe this. lol I wrote a poem called "Prison Cell" last year...

http://xoxoimawriter.blogspot.com/2009/09/prison-cell.html

thenaiveblogger said...

Absolutely wonderful !

Levonne said...

You are a poet! I don't normally like poems and I really like yours. I can relate. A writer person seems to be one that is a bit of a loner. I was just reflecting on that. Living in one's head vs. in the world. I like a balance but I tend towards the prison of my own mind. Take care Wannabe Star. Come by and visit me soon!

Sunny Insomniac said...

Jessi,

Only you could write something that deep at 15. It's a painful concept to understand, this complicated and thorny reality of human nature. We try so hard we bleed in the form of tears, desperately making the attempt to change and make things better. But we stick with what we know. Even when it hurts us and those around us. Perhaps because it's safe? Or, as you put it, it's "home." We don't know where else to go. I'm so thankful for the hope I have in my life now. And I'm especially thankful that I'm no longer fifteen.

Anyway, I loved it. Thanks for sharing!

Write on.

~Sunny Insomniac

Twilight Expressions said...

A good effort. It leaves you to a feeling of being there in 'Prison cell'

Gaurav

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails