Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

An Open Letter to the Ones Who 'Got Away'

Dear Mr. Guys,

It was very nice to get to know you. After all that time in high school of being insanely single and feeling like I was so uninteresting and not able to date, the tables turned. I focused on myself and found that I could be quite the person. I wouldn't say that after that you came in flocks, but the interest was increasingly obvious. I still don't know why it happened the way it did; as soon as I stopped caring about looking for you, you all came looking for me. I just wanted to focus on myself, and there you were. So I tried it out after some thought. It was like a terrible dating show of my life over the course of a few months.

It was very nice to spend time with some of you, and we appeared to have a healthy amount of stuff in common. Well, some of us did. However, I am a smart girl and have realized that I could never date someone that is that much like me.

I also can't date someone who I have nothing in common with. I'm no fun to date. And I'm a mess. So thank you for the interest; I can honestly call myself flattered.
However, I regret to inform you that I was not interested as it turns out, and no, this decision will never waver, flip or change. It turns out the duds, well, you guys, made me really see what I wanted, needed and how picky I really am. But I consider my picky-ness a blessing; I always find my perfect fit. For instance...

The moment one of you kissed me was the moment I realized that I could do so much better in life. The kiss just didn't do anything for me.
The moment one of you held my hand was the exact moment I realized who I really fell for. And so strange, it turned out to not be any of you. It turned out to be someone that I almost overlooked because of all of you. Someone that I almost didn't truly consider. As steered away as I was from this whole situation, something brought me back to him. Maybe it was some sort of weird fate. Maybe it was me realizing that he wasn't anything like any of you.

So actually, thank you for your help. I know I've struggled with decision-making my entire life, but through you, everything was so obvious.
I'm now the happiest I could ever be, or have ever been.

Best regards,

Jessi

11 comments:

UB said...

Beautifully written!

Melanie said...

Awesome...what a wonderful place to be in your life. Hopefully I will be able to write something similar to this in the near future if I can get out of all these dating shenanigans myself!

Hannah E. said...

I really enjoyed this. I adore your open letters. I thoroughly like how you're a writer I can easily related to. I'm just saying.

(:

Melissa Blake said...

I love this!! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Jen said...

"I could never date someone that is that much like me" hahah I love it!

Great post :)

toni said...

Wow, that was really cool!

m said...

I like this. And I think you're smart.

AmandaRose said...

Hey, doing a special book giveaway for all my followers on my blog. Check it out!

Linz said...

this is a letter all girls should write at some point in their lives!

Jessi Haish said...

Thanks so much for the feedback guys! Question: who should my next open letter be to?

Keda said...

'... have realized that I could never date someone that is that much like me.'

Being a 'late bloomer' (as my mother use to call it) myself, I know what you went through. And with each guy that passed through my life I knew I was getting something better and more perfect for me. I did. We have a few things in common. He's nothing like me though. Things work because we talk about everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING and also because we allow each other to be who we are. It's rare for people to be so comfortable as we are and yet so inflamed with passion.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails