Pages

Friday, October 08, 2010

Guest Post: An Open Letter to a Stranger

This new guest post is brought to you by Nitisha; a fellow writer and blogger. She is a great writer who recently sent this post as an email submisison. Don't forget to submit your guest posts to jhaish09@gmail.com. Check out Nitisha's Open Letter to a Stranger then check out her blog here.

Hey there, stranger.
I'm calling you X, obviously to make your story more enigmatic.
I'd like to know your name, and know more about you. And I'll tell you why in a second.
But for now, hi. :)

You never get a second chance to make a first impression, is one of those things I've heard too often to count. I just realized that I always arrogantly believed my intuition about people based on how my first interaction with them. The quickness of that first smile, the accent, the clothes you wear etcetera etcetera.
A spur-of-the-moment judgment I make of you, marred by microsecond subconscious attempts to match you with others in my life.

You haven't ever spoken to me or met me, but I have seen you and heard you. You've made an impression on me. Your stance, your hairstyle, your look, your tone, your words have reminded me of someone who has behaved like a jerk with me. Yes, unfortunately, my first impression of any one person is always one of skepticism. And so, my first impression of you is that you,X, will be yet another jerk.

But, wait. First impressions aren't permanent, are they?
I'm thinking that just by making this on-the-spot judgment of you,based on my not-so-nice prior experiences, I'm the jerk here.
For all I know, you may be the nicest person in the world, and may turn out to be one of the most important people in my life. So I'm going to review my entire experience of you right now. I see now that there is room for doubt, and my first impression of you was just based on my preconceived notions and life experiences. But you deserve better than that. You deserve to be judged with an open happy mind, and I shall strive to see the best in you now onwards.
So, I've decided to take the time to understand you, rather than misunderstand you from the get-go.

I write all this, because I realised today that every friend of mine was once a stranger to me. And I love my friends, and am there for them, come what may.
And hey, if you turn out to be the jerk I originally thought you were, then lucky for you, I believe in second chances. Guess I'm just a silver-lining kind of girl.

That's why I want to know you.
If you don't want to talk to me right now, then talk when you want to. Coz I want to all about you.
Just tell me your name first. Calling you X is getting lame. :P
Bye, X. :)


photo via (we heart it)

4 comments:

Nitisha Pande said...

Hey Jessi,

Thank you SO much for publishing this here. :)

Much love. :) :)

Find me at http://contradictoryexistence.blogspot.com/

UjjwalRaaj said...

I can associate with this :\.

Scary.

Jamie said...

I think this hits home for a lot of people. I love it & thanks for sharing.

p.s. Jessi I have a blog for you on my page! journeyofjamie.blogspot.com

david said...

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression", I think this is one of the most unfair moments of life...but you always have the chance to try again ( or almost have )
Thanks for share

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails