Pages

Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Evolution of the Holiday.


Oh, the holidays. A time of Christmas cheer and...
I don't know how I feel about the holidays anymore. I mean, I love the time with my family. I love Christmas Eve -- it's undoubtedly one of my favorite days of the year. But over the years, I've found that Christmas comes with a lot of different situations. Christmastime means drama, and things aren't always Christmas card perfect.

When I was younger, my family and I always bundled up and headed to the grandparent's house: a house full of food, aunts and cousins. It was one of the few times a year that everyone was home together: and that one big time was enough for everyone. As much as I loved the company of the cousins that surrounded me and although I enjoyed spending time with them, I also felt something different. Even at a young age, I remember feeling a desire to compete. A feeling of threat. Aren't cousins just competition in relatives' eyes? It was tough. Plus, my aunts would do the same, so why wouldn't us kids follow suit?

Another Christmas came and my grandmother turned her back on my family in a selfish and quite frankly, outlandish act. Another Christmas came and my dog ran out on a frozen river and fell in. My dad pulled her out. It was the same year we cut down a "Charlie Brown Christmas Tree," a dinky little thing that held miraculously all the ornaments it could take.

Then I got a job and started working at the local movie theater, where to my horror I found out we were open 365 days a year. I'm still working there and still find myself dealing with the "Christmas Crazies," as they are called. Families coming in to see a movie because they can't deal/put up with their family anymore. So they usually split up and see different movies. Is that what Christmas is about? Then they complain about prices and how busy and long the line is and how slow the service is. On Christmas Day. Is that what Christmas is about?

I've had my share of diverse holiday seasons. Although I'll be at the theater once again this Christmas Day, helping people that should be locked up in the house until January, I do get to spend Christmas Eve with my family and boyfriend. And although I've had my fair share of ups and downs and all-over-the-places with the Christmas holiday, maybe I wouldn't have it any other way. And maybe this year will be the best of all.

Haha :) We'll see what happens this year.

photo via (we heart it)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails