Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

please keep all hands and feet inside the car.


After yet another roller coaster of a year, 2010 is ending on a an average note. The past week or so things have been in less than prime condition, and I'm really hoping this doesn't carry on to the new year. I'm hoping this is all just a short phase that will eventually evaporate. In fact it better, because I don't think I can stand this much longer.

Overall though, I can't complain about this year. I spent it with an amazing guy, wrote for my local newspaper, became editor in chief for my college paper, was a Blog of Note, all while I was wrapping up my first year of college and plunging into the second. As usual I felt like I was constantly in transition; my group of friends is continually changing as are my attitudes on life. That's why some people may think I've been contradicting myself lately; I'm really just trying to figure out where the hell I'm at.
It feels like time has been flying by lately (like a roller coaster!), and to be honest it kind of scares me. With deadlines, projects, duties, and just life, I feel like I'm missing something. I feel like I need to stop and smell the roses more often.

That's where this blog comes in. It truly helps me reflect on life. Even though writing may not give me all the answers, it surely helps me form my questions.
Life is truly a roller coaster. I can't stress it enough. Nothing is ever simple, and nothing is ever easy. But I've decided to use "Roller Coaster Safety Rules" to my benefit by applying them to 2011. So here it goes:

1) Obey all posted restrictions.
2) Follow the rules. Wear the lap belt, don't rock the car.
3) If the operator isn't paying attention to the coaster or if the ride appears dilapidated, walk away.
4) Be alert to unruly riders.

At the end of the list I found a simple message: "If you take these simple precautions, the worst thing likely to happen is you'll lose your lunch."

I decided after these rules that life is simply that: a roller coaster. If I slow down, take precautions and follow these rules about people and life, not much can go wrong.

So....here's to a new year. I can't even believe it. I'm hoping I'll grow up some more. I'm hoping I'll keep experiencing this wonderful buzz of being in love with everything: him, school, friends, family, music, LIFE. I know I am a magnet for drama and I know that life isn't always perfect, but I'm figuring out what's up. I'd like to think I'm getting better. As for the roller coaster? I think I'm at the point where my hands are off the safety bar in front of me and my arms will be reaching for the sky, even going downhill. No more white knuckles gripping for life for this girl.

photo via (we heart it)

1 comment:

Anthony Hodgson said...

Happy new year Jessi I hope you fulfill your dreams and life is good

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails