Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Mid-College Crisis Strikes


The other day… I thought I was having a meltdown; I thought it was an isolated incident. But then I started talking to people and I figured out I wasn’t the first one to do it and I certainly won’t be the last. They dubbed it “the mid-college crisis.”

It truly makes sense, now that I know it exists. I’m in my second year of college, I’ll be transferring in the fall, and I feel like I’m truly starting to find my footing. So, right now would be the perfect time to start having a breakdown about the rest of my life, right?

I started doubting my major. Now, I know that journalism isn’t going to be the most secure career choice, but is there really a completely secure career choice, especially now? I started doubting the work I had put into the last year and a half. I started thinking maybe it wasn’t enough, maybe it wasn’t good enough, and maybe it wasn’t going to get me anywhere.

My peers accredited it to just being a mid-college crisis. My father accredited it to being in the house for four days when we had all those snow days. I do tend to over think...

But how normal is this mid-college crisis? Can I put the “blame” on the fact that I’m nevous about transferring? I think there is something to be said about the transitory nature of community colleges. I feel like I just got there and I’m still enrolled there, but I must constantly be considering the next step: preparing for my transfer to a university. I think that this semester, the pressure is on: I’m on track to graduate community college in early August and start at a university in late August. Where is the break?

I’m only halfway finished with being Editor of this great paper, but at the same time I’ve got to start thinking about and planning for the successor.

When does the transitioning stop, and is this something that is unique to community colleges? Have you experienced a mid-college crisis?

3 comments:

Grace said...

I can't say I had a mid-college crisis, but definitely crisis related to finding a job, and wondering what I'm going to do with my life, and taking next steps.

I didn't go to community college, and I would have to say that I didn't really have these crisis until my senior year, so maybe it's good that you're having these thoughts earlier. It's forcing you to think about your future right now, which I think is a good thing.

Maybe you're getting ahead of the game.

Tobuoi said...

I dropped out from Kish after my third semester there. Now that I think about it, I'm not even really sure why I started going there other than for the sake of doing so. After spending a few weeks assessing what I really wanted out of life, I decided that Kish wasn't part of it. For years, I've known that I want to go into video game development. And how many classes or opportunities were there at Kishwaukee to learn about the industry? Zero. Aside from that, the classes that I needed to graduate were rarely available and I didn't feel like hanging out at a school that I wasn't happy with for six or more semesters to get a degree that wouldn't really help me get into game development. So I left.

Once I did, I felt immediately better. Everything that I wanted out of life became so clear, not feeling burdened by what was "expected" of me. In high school, we have it drilled into our heads that if we don't start college and get some generic degree ASAP, we're doomed. Because of that, I made stupid decisions that I didn't even have a reason for making. So after leaving Kish, I took some time to invest in myself. I started my blog, fleshed out my portfolio, developed some game ideas, and felt more productive than I ever have. Back in the fall, I applied at a media arts school in Chicago that has the most amazing game development program that I've ever heard of and I got in. I start there in September and I feel like it's the best decision I've made in my whole life. It's an unconventional one and probably not one that my high school guidance counselor would've suggested, but it's a decision that has secured me on a track towards my dream.

I guess what my ultimate point is is that you should seriously consider what you want out of life and do what's necessary to achieve it--not what you feel is expected of you. If that means taking some time off or starting over, you might want to consider doing so. However, don't ever doubt your dream because you don't think it's achievable or "stable". The unique and successful didn't get that way by living a conventional and mediocre life. You gotta take some risks.

Rusty said...

I agree with Chloe in that you should identify what you want to do in life, how how you want your life to be, and then take the steps necessary to achieve it. In her case, it is video game development. Kish obviously doesn't have that program, so she left and she is obviously the better for it. I'm seriously interested in being a Radiology Tech, and Kish is really the only school that has that program, as well as it being an involved one involving a full time internship in various hospitals. Community colleges are not necessarily a bad or good choice for everyone. I mean it just gets down to: you want to do this. Does X school train you to do that well? I'm probably repeating myself but the best advice I've gotten is: Identify a reasonable goal for how you want to live, figure out how to get there, and surround yourself with people who support you. It's pretty straight forward from there.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails