Pages

Friday, February 04, 2011

An Open Letter to Someone I Used To Know

I haven't written an open letter in quite some time. But a while ago, I saw someone and I couldn't get him out of my head. But not for the same reasons that I couldn't get him out for before...


I saw you about a month ago, and I knew you'd be there. We still have the same old mutual friend in common; the same old story in common. Although you're gone and I'm still here, still stuck, I can't get over any of it.

I walked in with my boyfriend and you walked in with your girlfriend. She seemed nice enough, and she seemed definitely your type. A lot like the girl before...the one that you had to stop talking to me for. And the one before that. Yet we always found our way back to each other.

We started out as best friends, making small talk. We had close to nothing in common, but when we were together I had that feeling of familiarity. And although everyone thought you were rough on the outside, I knew another side of you. But you seem to be wearing that tough shell more than ever now. I'd ask you why, but I know it's not my place anymore.

You used to act like you didn't care around me, but when it was just us, you told me everything. I told you everything. We were best friends, and I was falling for you. I tend to do that. You would call me every night, whether you were still at work or not. I'd get up and quietly shut my bedroom door. We would talk in whispers. Nine times out of ten, I'd fall asleep with the phone between my pillow and face. But most of the time, that's why you called. You knew how to make everything alright. No matter what that everything happened to be that day.

Everything seemed picture-perfect. But then time moved on. We grew up; we seemed to become different people. But looking at us now, we're still pretty much the same. What happened? How can two people so similar yet so completely different not work out?

It almost seemed too happy.

I don't even know how to end this letter. I just wanted to say that I saw you and it was strange. It was hard to hold back a grin just from the sight of you. I've thought about you once or twice since then. But I knew that we could never re-discover what we had then. That bond, that friendship that I thought was so strong, couldn't last. I don't know why, I'll never know why, but maybe it happened for the best. And I will always wish you the best.

You're someone I used to know, I'm someone you used to know, and it has come down to just that.


photo via (we heart it)

6 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Wow, I was told that writing letters like that are very cathartic, it helps the writer come to terms and that is what is important... I can't help but relate to your letter, certain parts hit a nerve with me... My ex bf tried communicating for about a year.. I finally had the nerve to return the last letter 'return to sender, no forwarding'.. I read the others but did not respond..

Levonne said...

I wonder what it would have been like had you NOT suppressed the grin? Thanks Jessi for coming Levonne's Pretty Pics and leaving a comment. I appreciate it! Nice writing in this post by the way. Take care...

Melissa Scanlon said...

I always love a good open letter. I think I'll try writing one on my own blog with weekend!

UjjwalRaaj said...

Yeah I know how that feels. I even thought of getting in touch with that person on facebook, then decided aah what the heck.

It's similar to this - http://sourcanvas.blogspot.com/2010/08/open-letter-to-person-i-once-was.html

Kat Swan said...

I always love reading your posts even though I don't know you. Especially today, when you have hit a chord that sounds like the one played in my own life. Just reading your open letter is therapy. :)
Never stop writing.

Sara said...

Simply: I love it. It reaches deep and I think that's regardless of whether you are young or old, male or female.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails