Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Day: A Love/Hate Relationship


If you've been out at the stores or out in any public setting in the last month, you know what tomorrow is.

Valentine's Day. Let the squeals or sighs of exhaustion commence.

It's just another holiday you can't escape. First you see the candy, then the cards, then the stuffed animals, then all of these couples come out of nowhere! Next thing you know you're standing in an aisle at Walgreen's with your head in a blur. There's more pink than the Barbie aisle at Wal Mart.

Then you wonder, what's the point? It's just another over-the-top, commercialized holiday. You think about all the money that's spent, all the preparation, all the time thrown away. And for what? So it can go back to being normal tomorrow, like nothing ever happened?

But it used to be something more.

I know that I've thought about it before. It's nice. How...astounding to have an entire day dedicated to reminding people that you love them. I wish we didn't need it so much that sometimes it serves as a reminder to do so...but a whole day just to dedicate our love? We should be doing it everyday, but knowing that it's important to have its own day speaks volumes.

But it's easy to have a love/hate relationship with this holiday.

Last year I wrote about my experience working at a movie theater on this holiday. Overall, it was less than pleasant. But this year, I'm not working and I'm in a relationship for the first time on this holiday. I found myself easily getting caught up in the appeal of Valentine's Day...this year much more than last.

So where do you fall? Are you pro or con Valentine's Day, and what are you going to be doing tomorrow?

5 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Its a Hallmark holiday...As is Father's, Mother's day... Those 3 holidays should not need any marketing or reminding..
For me, there is no 'valentine'.. and when there was, I did not need Hallmark to do a head trip on my significant other/hubby.

TexasGirl said...

Last year I was with someone. I had a great Valentine's day with him. It was my first in a relationship and I will remember it forever.

This year, I'm not with anyone. I've been introduced to how much it sucks to be reminded everywhere you go that there isn't anyone...I figure it's something you live through.

Given that I've now experienced both sides of the spectrum, I'm pretty okay. I'm going to chill with a girlfriend tomorrow, work on a project, and enjoy the day despite my lack of bf.

I'm trying to remember the day will be what I make it. Great post.

♥ T said...

I love Valentine's Day! I really do believe that people NEED this day to dedicate their love. I wish that wasn't the case but it's a sad truth and let's face it, GUYS (especially) need the guidance. That being said, I can't recall ever having a great Valentine's Day with any of my former boyfriends. The year that my boyfriend crashed my car had to be the worst one. Nonetheless, I still can't help but get caught up in the holiday. This will be my first Valentine's Day without a boy in a long long time and I'm actually looking forward to spending some time with my single friends and spreading the love in other ways. :)

I hope you and TAB have a great first Valentine's!

Tobuoi said...

So-called "Hallmark holidays" like Valentine's Day tend to get a lot of flack because it's assumed that you're supposed to spend a bunch of money on them. Well, for starters, I don't think that's necessarily true--if you have an ounce creativity, you can easily find ways to give gifts and make the day fun and exciting with little to no expense. Aside from that, I think that holidays are important. Not just because they give us an organized opportunity to remind the people who are important to us that we care, but they shake things up a bit and make life more interesting. Even when I was single, I always found a way to make the holiday enjoyable and I think that anyone could do the same if they put their mind to it.

Shesdifferent said...

Personally, I think that EVERY holiday is a made up by someone at corporate sponsors to make us buy more stuff. The only REAL holiday or occasion on the calendar should be YOUR BIRTHDAY...the day you landed on the planet. You should celebrate it doing what every the hell you want-don't go to school or to work, because it's the only genuine "Your day".

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails