Pages

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Who Am I? A 9th Grade Essay.

Hey guys, I know my posting has been pretty non-existent lately. Things have been pretty crazy with work and school..and I just don't have nearly as much time. All hope is not lost, however! Next week is spring break :) So I will have more time. To tide you over though, I found this gem....an essay I wrote my freshman year in high school. (With photos!) Enjoy.


The first time I ever colored my hair, I picked up a box of dark brown dye at the store. It was the first time that I had ever bought any, and I purchased a temporary color. It was a color just a little bit darker than my naturally brunette hair. I didn't want a color that was too dramatic (in case anything went wrong) yet a color that would be noticeable. I don't really remember why I wanted to color my hair in the first place. But it started a revolution. A hair revolution that was all mine.

That night, my mom and I experimented with the hair color. She told me how she used to color her hair a lot in high school, but had stayed with a more reddish color.


I guess I wanted attention. I mean, all through elementary and middle school, I had some friends, but very few. I was the girl who was always home staring at the television screen, wondering what everyone else was doing. I just wanted to stand out and be noticed. Maybe it was for a boy, maybe it was for more friends. I don't really remember the exact reason, but in the end I colored my hair.

The next day, I went to school with my hopes high. I thought the change was noticeable, and my family thought so too. It seemed a little darker, and my natural blonde highlights were gone. I went through the whole day, hoping that someone would say something. But nobody ever did. I went home that day feeling sort of unsuccessful. The dye washed out after 12 shampoos, along with hope.


I waited a little while until I tried coloring my hair again. I really don't know why I tried iit again, and I really don't know why I still have a fascination with it. It's not as if I was permanently coloring it, but I loved it. This time I tried a different brand and color. It was supposed to make my hair have a reddish tint to it. So one again my mom and I went through the coloring process. Later, we rinsed it out and checked out the results. This time I really thought it was noticeable! It was orange-tinted, and I really thought this was it.


The next day I went to showcase my hair at the high school. I even pulled my hair off to the side so that maybe it would draw more attention to my hair. Once again, I was disappointed. Not to worry...

One last time. I was going to get this choosing-the-right-color-for-you down once and for all. Once again, I traveled to the store. Scanning the hair color section for the perfect color, this had to work.

That Sunday night, my mom and I once again began the hair coloring process. The color I had chosen for this attempt was called Hot Mahogany. It even had a nice ring to it. When we put in the mousse, it made my hair appear to be bright red! But this couldn't be it! I looked like a clown! But we continued with the coloring. We waited the certain amount of time, then did the usual rinsing. When it was all done, it was bright orange. My dad walked in and turned right back around and walked out.


I was shocked. But this is what I had wanted, right? I brushed it out and then went to bed. The next morning it was still bright orange and my mom pulled it back into a braid for me, and I went to school.


Finally! Success! I went to school, walked through the halls of people I will probably never know, then arrived at my "posse" of friends near my locker. They were just as shocked as I was when I had looked in the mirror the night before.

"Oh my gosh!"
"Jessi!"
"What did you do?"
"It's orange!"

I was so pleased with their amused reactions. People were touching my hair and giving me compliments. To be ever so honest, I loved every minute of the attention.

The next day, after another shower, my hair had toned down a bit. It was more of a reddish-color with a less "carrot-top" feel. But I was happy. I was even given nicknames such as "Red" and stuff. It stayed in my hair a long time despite the 8-12 shampoo lasting rate.


Now that I'm in high school, I feel a lot happier and not just because of my hair. Now, I have five times as many friends as I have ever had before. I have places to be, and I'm happy. I have so many more friends and life is good. I really don't think the hair color has anything to do with that, but it is a part of me. I personally go through phases on a daily basis, but that is just the way I am. I don't know who "I" am, and I probably never will. But that's fine with me.

2 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Girl, u got great hair!. How about auburn? Eyes and the texture of your hair- can't go wrong w/any color..

Anthony Hodgson said...

Dyed my hair green once, it was supposed to be a different colour and went badly wrong. My parents went ape as well. I kind of liked it though. Never again though :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails