Pages

Friday, April 01, 2011

30 Day Challenge: This is No April Fool's.


I know it's April Fool's Day, but what I'm about to tell you is no joke. I can't believe how ironic it is that I'm starting this on April Fool's Day. But it had to happen eventually. Since today is the first...it just worked out.

I'm giving up Facebook and Twitter for one month.

Yep, that's right. Me, the self-proclaimed Princess of Social Media. The girl who is constantly uploading pics, Twittering my random 140-character thoughts and commenting like a pro.

I will be returning to Facebook and Twitter on May 1.

As my mother put it, it's a "re-evaluation."

Let's get real. This past month for me can only be described in one word: hell. I'm overworked with my job, school and newspaper. I've had too many nights of 3 to 4 hours of sleep, so many tests I've failed, so many people I've lost contact with; so much passion is simply drained from me. I don't feel the zest for life lately. I feel routine. I feel overwhelmed. I feel like I'm trapped in this zombie-like mold.

So, here comes the "re-evaluation."

I'm quitting Facebook and Twitter cold turkey. I'm currently trying to figure out how to delete the apps from my phone, maybe even turn off the internet. I want to do this to see if I feel a little less overwhelmed. No offense, but I don't need to know everything about you guys and you don't need to know everything about me either.

I'll still be blogging, but not as frequently. I just can't go without my blog or writing. But until this summer, it's just not realistic for me to be getting posts up everyday, as much as I'd like to. But I care about my followers, and I will still be here. That being said, my Facebook and Twitter will still be automatically updating from my blog every time I publish a new post. But other than that, it's like I don't even exist in the social media world.

I've got a month and a half left of this semester; after that it's summer classes and working. In August it's a matter of two weeks between community college graduation and university transferring. I'll take all the peace of mind I can get.

Wish me luck! I hope I don't crack and I hope I can take something away from this. I'd really like to see what I can accomplish and what I can experience without social media weighing me down. I feel like it's a step backwards in this pro-technology phase, but maybe it will turn out to be what I need.

photo via (we heart it)

4 comments:

Anthony Hodgson said...

Good luck jessi you have the rest of your life to be media savvy and social. This time you won't get back again see you on the 1st of May

Voni said...

I actually understand WHY you'd wana do this, and essentially ARE doing!

I wish u luck,
I wish you learn whatever you need to,
I wish you all the best!!!

Will still read your blog & will miss my USA twit buddy on my timeline in the morning!!

Please whatever you do - GET MORE SLEEP!!!

See u on the blog and back in May :)

violet said...

Would you believe that I deleted (well, it actually said 'deactivate' on facebook) my facebook account? I think it was partly because it was getting a little too 'personal', too many things were up there that some people didn't need to know about. But mainly also because I was wasting too much time there. I would come back from classes and sit at my laptop, scrolling through the history at the 'home' page, reading unproductive stuff like how someone caught a cold etc. It was a huge waste of time. And sometimes when I put some useful stuff up, and no one would comment, I would feel...I don't know, everyone feels that. And I realised, I could use that time and spend it on/with the people who actually mattered! Like instead of putting those things up for everyone to see when some were actually meant for just a few people, why not send those stuff straight to those people? Write some letters to them, text them... Make them a bit more personal. Those people would feel loved and cared for, and you wouldn't waste your time on those who don't care about you.

LOL!! Just some thoughts of mine. I don't think I'm going back there, but even if I do, I will not put so much energy into it anymore. :)

Gracie Lou said...

My, my! That is some challenge! I think it would be good for most of us if we took a break like that at some point. I've noticed that some of my most productive times happen when I stay away from facebook and etc. I'm accomplishing things that need to be done and spending time seeing people in the flesh rather then creeping on their statuses. You might miss it sometimes but I bet you will find a lot of satisfaction in the life you have outside of the internet world. I hope it's a great experience for you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails