Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

30 Day Challenge: Update


So. How do I do this.

Well, I told you all I needed some time off. I needed to back off my excessive social media usage. And, I did. For about a day.

I'll wait for the disappointed looks to subside.

Anyway, I started out strong. I was about 8 hours into the first day when I got the itch and checked Facebook. And I did -- for about a total of one minute. Checked it super fast, and logged off. I told myself that that was all I needed and I was done.

I didn't check it for two more days!

But then I fell into the trap again. I was bored on break at work and didn't have anyone to talk to, so I logged on and did the News Feed scroll. Then I got sick and would lay in bed bored, so I'd do the scroll again. Little things. And I found myself almost exactly where I started: sure, I wasn't posting as much, but I was scrolling just like usual. I have a smartphone so it's almost a bored habit: I have an awkward moment or I just don't have anything to do so I log on and check out everyone.

I'm sad that I couldn't beat it. I'm sad that I will most likely check Facebook after writing this post. I know it's silly and ridiculous, but it's simple addictive. And I can't even blame it on the fact that I've been doing it for forever, compared to a lot of my Facebook friends I'm a newbie: I've only been on for almost 2 years.

As for Twitter? I checked my mentions once out of curiosity and admitted my cheating with a "I peeked at Twitter." Even though before I found myself almost on-the-hour updating my Twitter, this one has been so much easier to give up. Maybe because I don't personally know as many people on Twitter as Facebook so I don't feel like I'm missing out? But at the same time, getting my news is a lot harder, I actually have to go to the news web sites instead of reading their tweet updates. It's lame. I may have to actually get a RSS reader.

Well, I've failed you guys. Giving up Facebook just doesn't seem like an option. I feel like I use it way more than I ever thought: I communicate with my newspaper staff on it a LOT, for instance, including a friend who's in Ireland but still writing for us. Facebook definitely has it's perks, but I wish I knew where to draw the line.

Could you guys do it?

photo via (we heart it)

6 comments:

John Watson said...

Wow, you made it pretty far. I can hardly go for 5 minutes without checking. Its funny that you should post this, cuz just today I had a talk with a friend who said that I spend too much time on FB. Its really impossible to quit, I guess for now, cuz I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and FB is the only way I keep some semblance of human contact and subsequent sanity....

A Daft Scots Lass said...

I have done it.

Cold Turkey. Havent been on for over a year.

Anonymous said...

NEVER DONE EITHER ONE NEVER WILL!

Rodney said...

I'm not really all that attached to FB, so I can take it or leave it. But if you're utilizing it so much, I think you need to have clear reasons as to why you're using it. And only use it for those reasons.

But, it's a step by step process, Jessi. You went for 2 days with out FB. Next time, go for 4. Train yourself to go to the Internet when you're bored (like Wikipedia, or Google) instead of immediately going to FB.

After awhile, you won't feel so overwhelmed with social media madness. And take it from a recovering hermit, it's okay to NOT be social every once in awhile.

Take care of yourself, cause no one else will.


http://dilking2002.blogspot.com

getyourselfconnected said...

I don't do Facebook but I am a blog addict for sure. Hang in there, it's hard to unplug and get spacing. The quiet can be hard and "normal" stuff like watching TV or reading a book may feel underwhelming. Grab your very most favorite book and go to your favorite section and red around it a few times. Works for me when I am over blogging, facebooking, twittering, etc. Good luck.

Ashton King said...

I let what's actually going on in my life dictate my social media usage.

I'm not a Twitter fan so I don't use that one, and I feel as if my blog has gone to the wayside lately because I've been so busy.

I started a Tumblr account... but I forget about it except for maybe once a week.

Facebook is a completely different story though. Now that I and most of my friends have graduated college and moved large distances apart, Facebook is the most convenient form of communication.

I think social media only becomes a problem when it takes the place of actually living. So as long as you're still doing things outside of your computer, I think you're fine!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails