Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Blog of Note: One Year Later


May 25 was my one-year anniversary of being Blogger's Blog of Note. And I missed it. I wanted to have a big, fancy, beautiful celebration post, but two days later I realized the opportunity was gone, so I'm using this post to go off on a slight tangent.

The day I received Blog of Note was unlike any other: after pestering Blogger's Twitter account for weeks, they finally picked The Musings of a Wannabe Star. I found out when I checked my email - comments on my various blog posts were pouring in. It was easily one of the best days of my life, even though Blogger spelled my blog's name wrong.

One of my blog posts received more than 90 comments! There were so many well-wishers and people stopping it to say hello. There were also people there just to advertise their own blog, but to each her own.

In just two days, I went from having just 20 blog followers to 1000. I was in shock, to say the least. People said that the fame wouldn't last, however. One post would have 90 comments, the next 75, 60, 40, 30...I've now rounded off to an averag of 5-10 comments per post. But you know the saying that for every comment you receive, there were 100 people who read and didn't comment... ;)

But that wasn't the point. For the first time in my life, my writing was being used for what it was intended. It was being READ. And that's all that mattered to me. I didn't care if I had a million readers, the response was what mattered to me, and it still does.

So when I'm going back and looking at my old posts from a year ago and looking at the comments, I'm somewhat stunned.

So many bloggers aren't blogging anymore.

It has only been a year, but I will click on the profile of a person who commented on my blog at this time last year and they haven't blogged in 8 months. Looking to see who else I can "catch up with" I find this to be the case with dozens of bloggers, all of whom started around the same time as myself.

My question is, where have all the bloggers gone?

With all the hype of blogging and the Internet taking over everything, this seems to be a strange scenario. Why are bloggers, sometimes great writers, dropping off like flies? I wonder where some of them have gone and why they stopped.

But there are some people who have been with me since the beginning. I think of Erica, Kalei's Best Friend, Molly, Ashton, Melissa, Mandy, Voni and many others. Thanks for keeping up with my blog and always sticking around. Your presence on my blog is so refreshing and reminds me why I want my writing to be read. It just feels good.

So here we are! Have you had any favorite posts on The Musings in the last year? Leave a comment :)

photo via (we heart it)

6 comments:

Erica said...

Thanks for the mention. Sometimes you see something great in someone and I see that in you! :) you're not a wannabe star, you are a star!

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Well! I am touched u mentioned me..
:-)...From what I hear they have gone to Facebook.. I use to blog a lot on Multiply then got tired of the frickin' drama and phonies... I haven't succumbed to Facebook.. I have no reason to.. I know most love it because of the games they have.. Some are there to find old h.s. friends, see who is still single, relatives... i figure if someone wants to know where I am there are other alternatives besides Facebook.

UjjwalRaaj said...

Aaaah. I remember that day. Very well. It was also the day I made a promise to myself to blog properly and not just make it an online vent page.

What better way to start than check out the Blogs of note eh? Haha. I wouldn't have probably come up on your page had that not happened...or maybe I would have...who knows?!

I agree, I am one of those bloggers who just isn't writing anymore, maybe because I'm just more busy these days..or maybe I'm not taking time out for myself..but yeah. Sigh. I still read a whole lot though.

Happy Blog of note anniversary! Keep writing and best wishes!

Puput Nopitasari said...

I don't remember when I started reading your posts then following your blog. May be I rarely leave a comment in your posts but I'd like you to know that I always read them. and I do love them :)

Carrie said...

So I discovered your blog last year after you were featured and I fell in love! But then I switched blogs several times and lost touch.... Only the past few days I kept remembering your blog and how entertaining it was to read, so I googled you this morning and found you again! So glad I did :)

Keep up the great work! You're a wonderful writer!

Molly said...

Awww, I just read this. This is so sweet! I love it. :) I must have missed it the first time around, but I'm glad I found it now. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails