Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Confidence: Fake it til ya make it


What's that they say? Fake it til you make it? Well, when it comes to confidence...that's exactly how I did it.

I was the shy girl when I was younger. I never raised my hand, I certainly never raised hell. But then one day I realized life was passing me by. It was moving right along...without me. I had to do something.

So I did what seemed the safest. I faked confidence. It started when I got my first job. I was sixteen and terrified. I was scared of people, I didn't know how to deal. But I realized I had to deal, or else I wouldn't have a job. So confidence I faked. And four years later, I realize that over time, that confidence became real. I couldn't pinpoint where or when, but I started to believe that I was confident..and one day I was.

To this day, people respect me for the confidence that I have and proudly show. But I remind myself that it wasn't always this way...maybe to keep myself humble. I like the person I've become. Confidence and honesty are two of the most important things in my life and who knew, they go hand in hand. If you're confident, you're not afraid to be honest, and if you're honest, you'll radiate confidence.

Even though I'm not always confident, I have ways that keep me confident, rain or shine.

* Singing Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" (poorly) at the top of my lungs. Other favorites include Pat Benatar, Aerosmith, Kelly Clarkson, Melissa Etheridge and my girl Aretha Franklin.
* Wearing my knock-off converse low tops.
* My short pixie hair cut. I keep growing it out to feel "prettier" but I feel ten times more confident with my short cut.
* Having my boyfriend by my side. He is my biggest support system.
* Writing.

What keeps you confident, and when do you feel your best?


*photo via we heart it*

7 comments:

Mack said...

I love this post. I'm in the same situation, but I'm still in the beginning part of that phase of gaining confidence.

I'm hoping the short cut I'm about to get will help my confidence, too. Most of my confidence lies in my writing, but I'm still pretty shy with it, too (yet getting better).

Once again, thank you. Just reading this helps. :D

Ashton King said...

Being successful makes me feel confident... and by successful I mean having good shows consistently.

I cut my hair off right before summer started, mistakenly thinking it would be a cooler 'do for our steamy summer months. Now I've realized that nothing beats a ponytail in a southern summer so I'm growing it back out!

Katlyn said...

I fake confidence at times too. Especially I want to stand out among the people that can be a threat to me.

Erica said...

I love all your confidence tips (I agreed with all of them...rolling in the deep, knock off converse! I owned real converse, but the Payless brand is just more comfy!) Even down to the pixie cut! You're so right. It's all about that "facial feedback hypothesis" for me...fake it til you feel it!

Puput Nopitasari said...

chocolate cookies, cheese cake, music, my fav shoes and my boy haha ^^

KT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KT said...

This is a great post! I have also always been the shy girl.
And thanks so much for your comment on my blog! :)

Peace,
KT :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails