Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Is anyone else on Google+ yet?


I'm probably not what you would call....technologically-able. I suffer when it comes to trying to understand technology and how to use it. But at the same time, I can say that I am a social media...enthusiast. So when I first heard of Google+ I knew I wanted it on it.

But like with anything else, I had to wait. I was practically begging them to let me join, but I couldn't get in. I had an invite and I still couldn't get in. Then, one day right before I was about to leave for work, I decided to try and get in with my invite. One last time, I told myself. Unfortunately, I finally got in. Needless to say, it's all I thought about for the majority of my shift. I hadn't even used it yet and I already felt as emotionally tied to it as I currently am to Facebook.

Well, now I'm in, guys. I have a profile photo, a description, my school and work info filled in. I have about 5 "friends" in my "circles." And although I don't really know what I'm doing, it's still a lot like Facebook, which I suppose is a lot like MySpace. Don't fix it if it isn't broken I guess?

I'm still toying around with it and trying to figure out just what is so special about it. The concept that I'm most excited about can't really be played with until more people that I know get on Google+....if they can ever get on, or if they ever want to. You have "circles" on Google+. It's how you sort the people you know. Groups include friends, family and acquaintances. You can use these groups to sort what you're looking at, as well as who you broadcast to. You can also use these circles to schedule "hangouts," such as a group web video chat. It seems rather efficient and organized: if only I knew more people on the site.

I'm ready for Google+ to be exciting; maybe this site can change the face of social networking.Maybe we will have a more mature version of Facebook. I'm sorry, but if I have 13 year-old cousins on Facebook as well as my 30-something aunts, I feel like Facebook has lost its glamour. I'm ready for a change, and maybe Google can provide that. After all, just like a friend told me: "it's Google's world, we just surf in it."

3 comments:

Mr. Zero said...

+1 for that awesome quote at the end :P

Nate said...

I wrote a post about this not too long ago but unfortunately I have no hip internet savvy friends to invite me =(

Kalei's Best Friend said...

My daughters weren't too thrilled when Facebook opened up to the public and I can't blame them.. The original intention is what made it special.. Would u believe I haven't heard of Google+! lol... Sounds like its trying to compete w/fb and whatever else is out there.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails