Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

18 new books!

I think I figured out what I'm going to do.

I'm going to read. A lot. I've always loved reading more than the average person, but in the last five years or so, I just haven't had as much time to do so. Whether I'm working on the newspaper, at work, doing homework, or studying, reading for pleasure seems like a crazy idea. But now that I have more time to do so: why not?!

I went shopping at two of my favorite stores yesterday: Goodwill and Salvation Army, and headed straight to the book section like I always do. But I had a purpose this time: I had to find something great. I wanted books that I hadn't read before.

At Goodwill, I picked up three books and thought that would tide me over for while.

Alfred Hitchcock, Iron Man and Gump & Co. (I had no idea Forrest Gump had a sequel!)

But when I went to Salvation Army and read the sign boasting the daily deals, my heart skipped a nerdy beat.

15 books for a dollar. A dollar. I rushed back to the book section, where to my boyfriend's delight, I spent about 45 minutes. It was easy to pick out the first thirteen, but finding two more was quite the challenge. A challenge I accepted! Only one of the books I had read before, and that was Lord of the Flies. (But it's such a good book!)

Pictured from top to bottom:
Boy George by Merle Ginsberg (Yes, it's a bio about the 80s Boy George.)
Forever... by Judy Blume (I haven't read Ms. Blume in years, and I've never read this one!)
All the President's Men..Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward (For the J-junkie within me. Happy, Melissa?)
Transformers by Alan Dean Foster (I'm such a Transformers geek.)
Franklin Roosevelt: Boy of the Four Freedoms by Ann Weil (I love FDR and American history..this book is copyrighted 1962!)
Lord of the Flies by William Golding (Classic!)
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (have always wanted to read this!)
Live to Make a Difference by Max Lucado
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (copyrighted 1971! Has a sticker on the front that says the book is free when you buy a 2-lb can of Folgers coffee! Ha!)
The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper (Well, I did like the movie..)
The Color Purple by Alice Walker (Another I've always wanted to read.)
Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress: Tales of Growing up Groovy and Clueless by Susan Jane Gilman (The title explains it all.)
Pinocchio: Adventures of a Little Wooden Boy by Carlo Collodi (Copyrighted 1946!)
All London: A photo book. (I've always wanted to visit London, and the pictures are beautiful!)
My Fellow Americans by Michael Waldman (Speeches from every U.S. President! Nerd squeal!)


It's like I'm getting in my summer reading a little bit late, but hey, better late than never!
What are you reading, and have you read any of the books I purchased? Which should I read first?

4 comments:

Me :) said...

First off: I'm totally jealous that you found a deal like that! I'm on vacation but I'm going to the Goodwill when I get home!!

2nd: I've read The Color Purple. It was a really great read.

I hope I can find a deal that sweet. Happy reading!!

Erica said...

all awesome books! My friends and I used to giggle in class over the let's say more "descriptive" parts of Forever (rite of passage)

I love reading but have never bought a book at full price. People have either lent me books, the library and of course Goddwill like you did!

Twinnie said...

The Color Purple is a really good book :)

Molly said...

I have read Lord of the Flies and Forever. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails