Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2011

I had/am having a quarter-life crisis. Here's what I decided.


Holy crap. I've had a crazy last couple of days. Well, months.

If you haven't been along for the ride, here's a brief update.

I've loved Journalism since high school when I was the editor in chief of my school paper. I went to community college for two years, and was the editor in chief of that newspaper. It felt right. I felt like I was doing what I was supposed to do.

Then, this summer hit, and I started prepping to transfer to the local university for the fall. I applied for their newspaper, got a spot, and was offered stories.

I flaked.

I quit. I told myself I didn't want to do it. I didn't want any of it. So I withdrew my application for the fall semester, and quit the newspaper. Did some thinking and decided to try out elementary education. I registered for fall classes at my community college. They start in ten days. I just bought all of my books.

And then I did some thinking.

I miss Journalism. I miss writing; I miss seeing my name in print. I miss the purpose, I miss the dedication I had. I miss the things that used to fill me full of life.

So... I thought.

I want to go to my dream school. It's only four hours away, and a state school. The cost isn't outrageous. But I am paying for it on my own. All of it. So I have to look into scholarships, financial aid and loans like no other. But I want to pull this off. I want to be there in a year. I want to go to my dream school and study Journalism. Like I told myself since high school. I'm so tired of being scared. I'm so tired of being indecisive. I want to be able to prove that I can do what I believe I can. I want to try it out. And I think it's going to be worth it.

I'm going to take a year off of school. Yeah, it's crazy. I haven't had time off since the summer before my senior year in high school. But I'll deal with it. I'm going to work my ass off. Make money. Figure out who I am and what I need. And hopefully be leaving for that school a year from now. That's my plan right now. And it feels right.

photo via *we heart it*

5 comments:

$|<@77€®|\/|1|\||)€|) said...

I deff think this is the best choice that you can make right now. stick with it and feel the rightous outcome!

Erica said...

Do what feels right for you. Look forward and never look back. Now is the best time to make these kinds of decisions and remember that nothing is ever written in stone.

J.N.R Dutton said...

You'll do great Jessi, there's no doubt of that.

Ashton King said...

So many of my college friends have taken time off to figure out what they want to do, but college is definitely the time to change your mind... even if you change it back.

Enjoy your time off. I think you'll find that it only hardens your resolve to succeed.

Carolynn Cecilia said...

Take your time. Quarter life crisis' are a bit overrated in my opinion. Jump in, take chances and if Plan A doesn't work out remember that there are 25 letters left.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails