Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Words for my NOW high schooler sister.


My little sister started high school this week. It's strange. I've been out of high school for two years, and although it wasn't a terrible experience, I don't know if I'd like to do it over again. However, my sister and I are opposites, so I'm sure that her experience will be completely different from mine. Here's some advice that I have for her next four years, based on my experience. Whether or not it will even apply to her, I don't know, but I know that either way she will do great.

Don't be afraid of the opposite sex.
I spent most of my four years being friends with them or being scared of them. Don't be a chicken! I only asked a couple of guys to slow dance in my four years, and I wonder how things would have been different if I had opened up a little bit more. But that being said....

Confidence, as always, is key.
The times I did ask guys to dance, I was feeling a brief moment of confidence - -and it worked! So when you feel a brief moment of random, questionable courage, just run with it. Nine times out of ten it will work out and you'll be glad you did.

Try something unexpected.
I know I've told you this 100 times, but my junior year of high school I needed another class so I decided to take a publications class that I didn't realize meant being on the newspaper staff. A year later, I was editor in chief, and three years later, I'm a journalism major. Best leap of faith I ever took! I hope you take lots of these too.

Don't be afraid to be in different groups.
The first three years of high school, I was probably in about 10 different groups of friends, or "cliques." I couldn't sit still, so to speak. I never really felt like I completely fit in with any of them, so I always tried out another. By senior year I effectively taught myself to dabble: I was friends with people in every group, and I wasn't tied down to any of them. Branch out! Talk to someone you may not have in middle school. Also, don't be afraid to walk away from a toxic friendship, no matter the cost. You always deserve better.

Take a different path to class.
Once you get the lay of the land, that is. When you figure out where you're going, mix up your routine. Try taking a different way to class and see what you find along the way. Take the long way to your locker before or after school. Just don't be late! But don't be afraid to explore.

Have fun.
Four years may seem like a long time now, but it will fly by. Live without regrets and figure out what you want out of your life. Remember: life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself. So get started! I love you Lilly, have fun.

1 comment:

Shia said...

I love this post! I'm the older sister too and constantly giving advise...this is great advise for high schoolers =)

BTW...LOVE YOUR BLOG HEADER!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails