Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Happy Birthday Roald Dahl!

Today, Roald Dahl would have been 95. Dahl was one of my favorite authors as a kid. I remember when the book order catalogs would be passed out in class, I would have to ask my parents for any book of his that was listed. I think I had them all.

My love for his works began in the third grade. My teacher, Ms. K, read out loud to our class quite frequently. Her reading to us is one of my fondest memories from elementary school. She read us The BFG or "Big Friendly Giant." I loved the story, and after that, had to read anything else he had written. He really had a big impact on my childhood, and how much I love writing and reading. He really makes me realize how much impact my favorite childhood authors had on my life. I remember reading James and the Giant Peach, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Danny the Champion of the World, The Twits, George's Marvelous Medicine, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, Matilda, Esio Trot, and The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me. Matilda and The BFG are two of my favorite books to this day, and I hope that maybe someday my own children will love his books as well.

What is your favorite Roald Dahl book?

4 comments:

Carolynn Cecilia said...

Happy Birthday Indeed!

“Matilda said, "Never do anything by halves if you want to get away with it. Be outrageous. Go the whole hog. Make sure everything you do is so completely crazy it's unbelievable...”

Rodney said...

I have to go with Charlie & The Great Glass Elevator. Chocolate Factory was awesome, but Great Glass Elevator spoke more to my love of sci-fi!

Happy birthday Roald Dahl!

David Rotherham said...

Matilda is my favourite of his novels, then BFG. The short stories for adults in Henry Sugar, and the horrible but fascinating true life tale of child abuse, Boy, seem better than any of his children's stories now, although I doubt if i would have liked them when I first came across Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Ashton King said...

BFG followed by James and the Giant Peach.

I still love reading all the books I read as a kid, even though I get funny looks when I check them out of the library!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails