Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

Music Monday: What does music mean to you?

Music is so important in my life, because it's one thing that has always been there. I was fortunate to grow up in a home where there was always music playing and I think it makes me a better person to this day. I have a fonder appreciation for music, lyrics, stories, people...and I attribute it to music. 

We have music for every occasion, every emotion, every aspect of our lives. To attempt to think of a life without music is to attempt to imagine something completely impossible. Now that every inch of my life has been submerged in music, I don't want to go without it, and I must make sure that my loved ones have the same opportunities that I have when it comes to being able to enjoy music completely and totally. 

In the grandest of gestures and simplest of routines, music works it's way into my life, and I make a point to include it. I make lengthy mix CDs for others so I can express how I feel when the words don't come. I post songs to my friend's Facebook walls to share the passion and excitement of a new song. Whether I have headphones or a CD in the CD player, it's always there. It fills my car every time I go somewhere, making everyday drives a different experience each time the song changes. Although I don't have a musically talented bone in my body, it's about the feelings that I feel when the music begins. It changes me.

Music has had such a profound impact on my life, one that no one should live without. Music, to me, means happiness. Balance. Simplicity. Joy. Freedom. Music means to me more than I could ever try to express. I can't imagine a world without it. I think that music has helped me discover who I am as well as help me create myself. I think it will always do that for me. I think music makes me more...me.

What does music mean to you, and what has it done for you?

photo via (we heart it)

5 comments:

PeeVee said...

Music helps me unwind, unknot my knotted muscles.
Music helps me fall in love all over again with words and marvel at how much can be expressed with how little.
Music helps soothe my frayed nerves and lulls me to sleep even on the worst nights.

Music is almost life chocolate to me:)

Rodney said...

Music is one of my greatest pleasures. Like you, I grew up listening to music. Not just American, but also Latin music. For me, music helps me relax, gives me an outlet for my anger, helps me express myself, enhances my good moods, and when I actually perform enhances my mental focus.

A life without music is not a life.

Andy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andy said...

So my College news paper does this amazing column called "On the Record" where people write about an album/ band that has impacted their life and the stories behind it. I pick up the Met every week just read this section. I knew as soon as I saw it that I wanted to contribute. So tonight I wrote my own piece and I contacted them about how to submit my work. Hopefully it will be published soon! You can view past submissions here: http://www.metnews.org/category/features/audiofiles/on-the-record/ Seriously there are tons of 'em. any music lover would appreciate them.

Chris said...

Music helped me escape from reality when the situations started going haywire and also offered me many experiences to just hang out with you or to just jam with some friends. It is so awesome to have gotten to know you by wanting to meet the girl with the painted car and now knowing that the words on the back were actually lyrics it makes you 10x more liable to loving music in my mind. I know that its such a HUGE deal in your life that I want to get more into it in our relationship. Thank you for the wonderful post. <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails