Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

College, writing, making a difference.

Student Blog Awards

College. It's a time to make mistakes, fall in love, try something new, create yourself...and learn something.

I've been thinking about college for as long as I can remember. I've always wanted to be that girl: my arms full of books, a pencil behind my ear, and furiously studying in my dorm room. And guess what? I will be.

I struggled so long to figure out what I was going to do once I actually got into college. Was I going to pursue my writing dream? Would it be worth the risk? They say there's no jobs out there for writers...but they also say there's no jobs out there for anyone. So I backed out for a second. Took a breather, took a look around. I almost changed my major, I went through all the motions to do so. But at the end of the day, my heart ached. I loved writing, I loved reading. I wanted to be that journalist I had always dreamed of being. I wanted to run around, stressed out. I wanted to hunt down sources and quotes, and write a story that could make front page. And maybe someday, I'd get my middle school dream. I'd be in that office above the city skyline, making important decisions and dropping important names.

So I'm doing it. I'm still the "newspaper girl." I'm still the dork that loves school "too much" and tries "too hard" to do well. But I'm not trying to impress anyone. I'm just trying to be the best that I can be. I want to make a difference, and I think that my words can do that. Give me the outlet, I'll say what's on my mind. I want to make a difference, I want to change things. Writing is something I can't be myself without. Writing is something I've always had to fall back on: in the days of "Dear Diary" or Young Author competitions or writing From the Editor letters. Writing makes me who I am and I make my writing who I am, and I can never leave that.


Please click the blue vote pin to vote for me in a Student Blogging Awards competition!
Student Blog Awards

3 comments:

Miss Caitlin S. said...

That's amazing and SO good for you. I decided on security in lieu of dream-chasing, some merit to it but obviously, dream-chasing is more commendable. Sounds like you're happy to pay your dues and that's very awesome :)

Erica said...

Writers write.

Trying to change that is impossible. I always wanted to become a journalist and even though that did not quite pan out, I can honestly say I have used my writing skills in every job I ever had. That's because I had to follow my strengths. Once you do that, everything falls into place.

Erica said...

btw, I redeemed my prize from the giveaway I won! (poster!!) love it. thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails