Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Let's be honest: I'll never be cool

I have always been a dork. So I've decided to pride myself on it. That girl who spends Friday nights at home reading a book? Me. The girl who always told guys how she felt even though their reaction is always the equivalent of an awkward pat on the head? Yep, that's me too. The girl, who according to friends, never got the memo in high school that said you're supposed to conform? Yep, I was the girl who wore her Salvation Army cheetah print dress whenever she wasn't wearing a wide arrangement of Goodwill selections. That's why when I got my first job, coworkers from my school instantly recognized me as the "blue sequin dress girl."

I've been a loser for as long as I can remember. I still am. I'm almost 21 and my tongue still gets tied when I'm talking to a 'cute guy.' I still get terribad haircuts. I still jam on music from my parents' generation. I'm really good at faking confidence and making really good conversation. I basically have been in my awkward phase my entire life and I'm still waiting for it to end. But since that doesn't seem to be anytime soon, I might as well enjoy it. I may be a dork but I have yet to be ashamed.

And isn't that the best feeling in the world?

Yes, I have buck teeth and deeply believe I could be the next Pat Benatar even though I can't sing a note. Yes, I still have random dreams about middle school crushes, don't know how to cook or flirt. Yes, I argue something til I'm blue in the face or until I forget what I was originally arguing. Let's be honest. I'll never be cool. But I was never meant to be, and that's just fine with me.


photo via (we heart it)

8 comments:

Busola said...

I can totally relate to this: friday nights with my books, arguing till i foget my point, awkward over-expression of feelings, this is all me on your post, and i couldnt have said it any better :)

Hannah said...

The most important thing is to be you and that's exactly what you are doing. You were born to be you and nobody else and the most important thing is to embrace it. Go you for being an original in a world full of copies.

Stephanie said...

Did I write this? Haha! I'm such a dork too. I'd rather read than go out, I can't dance, I can't flirt (it's a wonder that I ever got married) and I like to research dead presidents for fun. Like, obsessively. Take it from someone who knows, by the time you're 30 you'll be glad you never tried to fit in with the cool kids...sounds like you're glad already! : )

Angela [Simply Simple Me] said...

Being a dork is the best thing ever. I don't care what anyone says.

Drama Queen #1 said...

I think you sound pretty cool to me... You're your own person, and that's neat. Conforming is sooo lame. Stand out for YOU, not what people think you should be. :^)
Dork pride forever!!

Shia said...

Great post!! Dorks are individuals!! The ones that conform are the ones with the REAL problems!!

♥ Shia

Maria said...

Sounds a lot like me. :p

PeeVee™ said...

And dorks are the most 'real' people. They are the ones who don't crash and burn after flying too high.

Cheers to being dorks together:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails