Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

the traumas of being the good girl

Once you're pegged as the "good girl" it's a title that takes years of mishaps to erase. Because once you've been dubbed a good girl, it becomes a major, if not the only, part of your image.

Let me get something straight: I have no problem being the good girl. I've always been the sweet, sometimes quiet, girl next door. I'm not exactly a heart breaker, I don't start drama just for the sake of starting it, and I never get into trouble. I think that being good is a good thing, but I'm sick of it defining me. I'm irritated that even at the thought of me doing something slightly interesting means an eye roll and a guffaw. I could be bad if I wanted to...right?

Alright, probably not. I'm not about to steal your boyfriend or key an ex's car. I'm not about to do something wild. But I'd like people to think that I do have a backbone. Just because I'm nice doesn't mean I don't have guts! 

There are so many misconceptions when it comes to "good girls." Much like the good boys, good girls are the ones you eventually settle down with, but they are never the ones you want right now. They're the ones you are okay with bringing home to meet your parents, but not exactly the one you show off to the other guys. And I think that's terrible.

Just once I'd like someone to look past my good girl exterior. Just once I'd like someone to give me the benefit of the doubt and think that maybe I'm more interesting than I first come off as. Don't get me wrong, being a good girl is wonderful and I don't want to be classified as one of "those girls," but come on, give us good girls a break!

photo via (we heart it)

16 comments:

Winda Tiodang said...

so cute!! lol...

i am a new fashion blogger from indonesia living in singapore :) i really like your blog. i will really appreciate & it will be an honor to have u as my blog member.

and of course i will folback!:D also, u can mention me anytime on twitter @tiodang if you want me to check out your latest post & leave a comment ^^ ,please list me on twitter, so i will know u're my follower!! ;)

i've just recommend your post to google!u can check it! that's what u got if you keep in touch with my blog too!! hope u will do the same ^^
(u can add me on facebook and contact me at : cheeringwinda@yahoo.com)

Rebecca said...

I spent a long time characterized as the good girl. Be careful not to rebel against it too much, it doesn't always work out well! Plus, sometime in the future, being a good girl ends up being a good thing. There will be someone who finds that simply irresistible and wouldn't want you any other way.

Couture Carrie said...

So true!

xoxox,
CC

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

I'm not totally a good girl but I feel like I'm more of a good girl than a bad girl. And there are guys out there that long for a good girl. You just have to find the right guy.

Alexa said...

Agreed. I am way too wimpy to be a bad girl. Ha.

Michelle * Viva Revival said...

Great post! It's almost as if I wrote it, lol! I'm a good girl too apparently. People just know it by looking at me and it can be really annoying! I become an instant push-over in their minds.

Erica said...

I've always been the good girl...but with an edge. I'm the girl who did well in
school, you can bring home to mom and still party with! (Good clean fun I mean!)

"Bad girls" are usually one of the following: mean, spoiled, close-minded or just emotionally scarred and broken. Nothing glamorous about that. And in a few years time, these girls just like the "bad boys" may not be very happy.

Paige Andy said...

I love this! You said it exactly right. We'll be the ones to win out in the end, though :)

Cafe Fashionista said...

I absolutely LOVE this post - especially since I can relate to it so much! :)

sherri lynn said...

So true! I've always been "the good girl" but once people get to know me, they realize I am a lot of fun and am not just trying to always be good ;)

Elle Sees said...

im a good girl!
Enter my Giveaway!

Alison said...

I think that good girls have a mystique that those girls never can. They may appear mysterious, but in reality they are obvious. Goodness is subtle and deep. Be a good girl and be happy, it's better all the way through.

Wendy said...

All that matters is that -you know- what you're capable of.

Corilu Designs said...

Power to the good girls!

UjjwalRaaj said...

One word-


"Leather"


If you get what I mean ;) haha.

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

True but I think it is also possible to have people think differently if you show them other sides early enough!
Have a lovely weekend!

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails