Pages

Monday, December 05, 2011

Music Monday: My artist of the year

It's hard to believe that the year is coming to a close. Musically, it's been another year of people trying a little too hard to be crazy. We've got Rihanna, Katy Perry, Ke$ha, Nicki Minaj and others donning a loony, over-the-top look at all times, thanks to Lady Gaga. But honestly, what happened to caring about the quality of the actual music? It's hard to believe that there was a time (way before my time) that it didn't matter what you looked like, as long as you could really sing. That's why I chose my own artist of the year for 2011. This woman is fiercely talented and isn't afraid to be herself. One of my favorite quotes she has said? "I don't make music for eyes, I make music for ears." 

My artist of the year would be Adele. Even though she is beautiful, her talent always shines through. It's hard to believe that we are the same age! She can write an album about heartache and it speaks to people of all ages. This woman has lasting power, and that truly speaks volumes in a world where it seems like one-hit wonders thrive. Or should I say, people in costumes thrive. The world could use more artists like Adele. Notice that I said artists, not acts. Here are some great songs from the great Adele.







What do you think of Adele? And who would you nominate as your artist of the year?

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Seriously, if any one else wins a Grammy who is up against Adele I will flip my lid. She's fabulous.

Rebecca said...

I love Adele! I also just recently discovered Dawes and am a huge fan.

Samantha said...

Don't get me wrong. I love Adele and completely agree with everything you said about her.

However, I don't agree that Lady Gaga started all this costume craziness. I've followed Katy Perry (who was posting music on myspace and wearing banana-themed rompers way before Gaga was wearing meat dresses) for years and years. Her weirdness is nothing new; it's just part of her personality, amplified by her occupation and resources.
Pop stars and other famous musicians have *always* been weird. Prince, Madonna, Boy George, Twisted Sister, KISS... KISS had comic books made out of themselves! Even Elvis in his rhinestone incrusted jumpsuits. Rihanna, Katy, Gaga and company are just following the pop star formula. I don't think it's any worse this year than any other.

Well, Gaga. Maybe. haha

Teresa said...

I love Adele - nice choice Jessi!!

Shreya Agarwal said...

Adele is wow. The only artist that has kept me interested in her music for more than 6 months :)

Ms. Givens said...

I always thought she was singing Chasing Rainbows. LOL

M├Ągi said...

I still can't believe she's white...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails