Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Chick flicks are ruining my life. Kind of.

photo via
I've been watching a lot of movies lately, mostly chick flicks. I've always watched them, drooled over them, memorized every line.

Even though I was raised on princess stories and romantic comedies, I've never really fallen to what they deliver. Damsel in distress? Not me. Preaching about fate and destiny and finding a soul mate? Not me either. I've never even daydreamed about my wedding. So why do I melt when I watch yet another movie where John Cusack talks straight to me, or...err, the camera? Why are my favorite movies Dirty Dancing and Pretty in Pink if I don't live this stuff in my everyday life? 

Maybe it's because I like the "escape." I know that it's not going to happen for me. I didn't spend my night after high school graduation chasing down a guy I loved for four years, only to find out he felt the same way. I haven't randomly boarded a train only to meet someone I was destined to spend the rest of my life with. I haven't met a John Cusack type, and that's about the only thing I want from these crazy stories I wrap myself up in. I just can't get enough of that man in black.

So why do we do it? Why do we watch these movies, knowing that it can't and most likely won't happen for us? Why torture yourself? We know that The Notebook doesn't happen every day. Yet we read the books tens of times before they become a movie and when they do, we buy the movie tickets in advance. It's our grown-up version of those princess fairy tales we read as little girls. 

I may not be one of "those girls," drowning in the movie and expecting it in real life. But it's a nice fantasy, and maybe it's what we crave in the back of our heads. 

What do you think? Why do you watch chick flicks and romantic comedies? What kind of effect do they have on you? As for me, I'm going to watch another John/Joan movie...

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

My theory is that tears and happiness are cathartic and romantic comedies provide those for us when we need them most!

Rachel G. said...

I don't think that life is ever just like the movies, but I also don't think there's anything wrong with using great romantic comedies as a foundation. Especially 80's romantic comedies, because you never know? Jake Ryan might not be waiting for you outside your door, but atleast it's not too far fetched to think you might maybe to meet his way cooler second cousin?

We all need to set our sights somewhere, and Id much rather set them in a great dream of finding love instead of a nightmare. Because Pretty in Pink is way better than Sleeping with the enemy. :)

Erica said...

what a coincidence. I was just discussing chick flicks with my husband! I am probably the only girl who doesn't watch them, but I def see the appeal. Who doesn't want a Prince Charming and a happy ending? :)

Grace D. said...

Good Question. Maybe it's because we long for healthy relationships - and that seems to be something that is so lacking in real life. There aren't too many healthy relationships floating around in Hollywood for us to look at, or even in our local towns, so we have to create them in the fantasy realm.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails