Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Myth #8: Fate will take care of it.

photo via
Every Tuesday I'm bringing you a dating or relationship-related myth,  story or article and I'll weigh in on the issue then turn the table to you guys. You can reply in the comments or on your own blog - but I want to hear your stories and what you think about the subject! Make sure you check back here on Tuesdays for more about love!

Fate, coincidence...what's the difference? Something happens without an apparent reason or cause, but it makes sense. Somehow the distance between point A and point B become zero and something happens. But is it fate or is it merely coincidence?

When it comes to love, there is this myth that two star-crossed lovers were drawn together thanks to fate. They met because of fate, they happened to glance at each other at the same time because it was destined. Is that really something to rely on or is the chance meeting more of a coincidence? I mean, it could have been anyone...right?

If fate exists at all, I think it should be more appropriately labeled as coincidence. I do not believe that there is some greater force that we have to rely on and later thank for doing something for us. I firmly believe that if you want to make something happen, you have to do it yourself. Don't spend your life waiting for fate to find you, don't stick around waiting for destiny to call. More likely than not, you're waiting for nothing, and you'll be waiting a long time. 

Fate is an idea we have the hopeless romantics to thank for. The ones that truly believe in fate because of some grand scenario that happened to them or someone they know? Honey, they are called the exceptions. There's an exception to every rule, and those people are it. Fate does not exist, and if you and Prince Charming board the same train by chance, the train you don't normally take? Look around...there's a lot of duds nearby that you could have met as well. Thank coincidence for that bout of luck...or thank yourself for waking up early that day.

What do you think of fate? Or are you a believer in mere coincidence?

4 comments:

Ashton King said...

I think a person has to work to create her own fate. Take my fiance and me for instance. When I decided I wanted to start dating again, I joined an online dating site. While I was deciding if I wanted to muster up the courage to message Chris, he messaged me. I think there was a little bit of fate at work there.

$|<@77€®|\/|1|\||)€|) said...

My favorite line, "Honey, they are called exceptions." Ha awesome.

On to the point, I really agree with you, but I like to call it fate and coincidence, because I believe in both. There are circumstances that make me think of fate but there are also circumstances that make me think of it being a coincidence. There is too much that happens to really make a strong argument that one is one and another is the other. Fate and Coincidence are the same thing pretty much.

Anonymous said...

fate does exist ,i believe it and you should also .IF it wasn't for fate you wouldn't be here.

Rebecca said...

I think people should work hard and create their lives - fate exists in that everything will work out how it is supposed to.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails