Pages

Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Life and Love: In Defense of the Underdog

photo via
Every Tuesday I'm bringing you a dating or relationship-related myth,  story or article and I'll weigh in on the issue then turn the table to you guys. You can reply in the comments or on your own blog - but I want to hear your stories and what you think about the subject! Make sure you check back here on Tuesdays for more about love!

Underdog: a person who is expected to lose in a contest or conflict.

The other day a friend commented on the fact that I always "go for the underdog," and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. What's wrong with the underdog, anyway? When it comes to dating, the "underdog" should be given a fair chance, because the underdog always ends up being the keeper. Because of the honest comment about my dating choices, I feel like I have to defend the lovable underdog guys of the world.

I've had plenty of crushes in my time, and none of them have been predictable. I'm the girl who notices that guy that no one else does...and no one understands what I see in him until I'm at the point where I can't stop talking about him. Call these dudes the underdogs if you'd like, but I think they are the winners. Why? They tend to be more genuine, less cocky and overall sweeter and kinder people. These are the people I'd like to have in my life. This is why underdogs will always win in the end. Besides, who wants to be with someone who thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread? Not this girl!

Take a chance and give that person a second look even if it seems that there isn't much there. People can surprise you, but you have to actually let them in first.


What do you think? Has an underdog changed your mind when it comes to love?

3 comments:

Ashton King said...

My fiance has started referring to himself as God's gift to women. Good thing I know he's joking ;)

The Vox said...

I go for the underdogs too! They are "mysterious" and my curiosity finds their shyness attractive. I'll be completely content if I marry one.

Anonymous said...

I think you misunderstood the underdog concept. Or maybe misunderstod the alternative. Imo the underdog is the shy guy who doesnt dare to show he is interested. Either becuase he is a dork or because some misconception that flirting and being bold will scare the lady away.

Well, there are alot of alternatives to that besides being a selfloving egomaniac dolt :)

My own experience is that girls just cant stay away from explicitily charming guys who can go way overboard with their flirtous maners and still save the day by being cool and not showing a thread of neediness. Keeping the lady very confused and uncertain is the way to go :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails