Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Oh yeah, our emo phase.

Yep, that was me.
Fall Out Boy. Skinny jeans. Panic! At the Disco. Black eyeliner. Band t-shirts. 
A.K.A. Freshman year of high school.

Fall Out Boy's "Sugar We're Going Down" came on the radio today, and I couldn't help but smile. My freshman year of high school, Fall Out Boy took the nation by storm. Sure, they weren't great, but we loved them just the same. It was the year of skinny jeans, too much eyeliner, and band t-shirts. It was the year of super straight hair and black Converse shoes. Because of this phase we went through, I met someone who would be one of my best friends when she burned me a Fall Out Boy mix CD. Our friendship was, and is still strong, but oh how silly we looked.

It was the emo phase, and everyone in high school at that time went through it, even if just for a moment. Even if it just meant picking up a Panic! At the Disco album, we all joined in. We thought we were cool; we were just silly. But we have the photos and buried CDs in the back of our closets to prove it.

I'm glad that phase hasn't returned. No more "scene" styles and "emo" haircuts. It may come back sometime far in the future, maybe our kids will bring it back. But for now let's just smile and feel relieved that we no longer think Pete Wentz is "like, the greatest musician ever." We were impressionable and naive, we were young. Even though we may have moved on, we still have a soft spot for that time in our youth, and that one song that still makes us smile every time.

3 comments:

Katlyn said...

Agree. So related to me. :)

Ashton King said...

I still listen to that kind of music, although I never went through that phase.

$|<@77€®|\/|1|\||)€|) said...

See, I really like this post which is funny to me because I don't like Fall Out Boy or Panic! At The Disco. Either way, really enjoyed the post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails