Pages

Saturday, June 09, 2012

Every once in a while, I miss my Giga Pet.

photo via
Yes, like most nineties children, I had a Giga Pet. No, not a Tamagotchi, a Giga Pet. It was my love, my light, and one of my first "real" responsibilities. Hey, it was tough work watching after a pet - and I had two of them! I had a wicked purple Giga Pet that hosted both a dog and cat. Don't tell anyone, but as a dog lover, there were plenty of times I let my cat die and only paid attention to my puppy. I was crazy about it! I feel like the only way to understand my addiction and well, all 90s kids' addictions to this fad is to think about today's teens and their cellphones. My pets were literally attached to my hip and I was always clicking away at it. I even proposed to my mom that I would pay her 50 cents a day if she took care of my pets while I was at school!

I loved my pets, but I grew older and my interest swayed to other things. But every once in a while, I do miss my Giga Pet. Times were simpler, and us kids? We were so easy to please.

What was your favorite toy as a kid? While I loved my Giga Pet, I also loved the original Polly Pockets, Barbie, and Pogs! (But more on those later...)

3 comments:

Maddie Shae said...

I am not a '90's' kid,but I did have a Giga Pet. Actually,it wasn't really a '90's kid' thing. It became more poular in the early 2000's.

$|<@77€®|\/|1|\||)€|) said...

See, I am a 90's kid and I would have to agree that this really was a '90's kid' fad... I had a Giga Pet, but mine was a Pikachu giga pet that I didn't even buy... I found it on the ground at a park and fell in love with it. Awesome times!

RAY J said...

My friend at school had one of these virtual pets in the late 90s (Freshman year I think, which would have been 1998/1999). I remember I got stuck with the stupid thing a few times as she couldn't take it in certain classes with her for risk of the teacher taking it away if it went off "one more time" during class. Only it went off in my class and the teacher confiscated it and yeah... My friend had to go talk to the teacher after school to get it back - oops!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails