Pages

Monday, July 09, 2012

Music Monday: Now That's What I Call Music! Now I feel old.

I was browsing iTunes when a familiar cover caught my eye. It was the iconic Now That's What I Call Music! album cover. Remember these? As a kid, I couldn't have enough of them. After all, they were a kid's dream mix cd: a collection of all the hot songs at the time. When I clicked on this album though, I swear a felt a new wrinkle fold on my face. Now That's What I Call Music... Vol. 41.

41?! How is that even possible? I remember owning the first few of these albums. And as proof of my age...I have photographic evidence. Yep, that's me on one of my birthdays long ago, wearing a flannel nightgown, and clutching Now That's What I Call Music: Vol. 5. Five! Look at how ecstatic I was.

Side note: I was also holding the Eiffel 65 CD, a.k.a. the one-hit wonder behind that "Blue" song (Da ba de da ba di) and Christina Aguilera's self-titled album with "Genie in a Bottle" and "What a Girl Wants." 

It has been a long time since I've owned one of these Now CDs and just to date myself a little bit more, here are some of my favorite tracks from Vol. 5:

It's My Life - Bon Jovi
Lucky - Britney Spears
Back Here - BBMak
Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely - Backstreet Boys
It's Gonna Be Me - 'N Sync
Aaron's Party (Come Get It) - Aaron Carter

These songs are pretty different from the singles featured on Vol 41, which includes artists like T-Pain, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and LMFAO. Man, how time flies. Today, though, in a world where it's much more convenient to buy your favorite singles as they are released rather than wait for a CD full of them, I'm surprised that the Now idea hasn't been completely phased out. However, I can't help but smile thinking about how happy these CDs made me when I was a kid.

Did you own any of the Now That's What I Call Music albums?

2 comments:

$|<@77€®|\/|1|\||)€|) said...

You do look like a dork, ha. I remember these CD's also, they were the Cd's that all the "cool kids" had when I was in elementary school and such. All I can say is... Aarons Party?? Really. Good post!

Daydream Believer said...

Girlfriend, if you're old, I'm dinosaur bones. Diggin' the playlist.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails