Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Thinking about the future: I want the little things

via
Thinking, or daydreaming, about the future can make time pass so quickly. A song comes on the radio and you start to drift away, thinking about whatever you may want to happen years down the line. When I think about the future, I don't think about the big events and when they will happen: I think about the little things that I'm most excited for. I'm thinking about the precious moments.

I'm thinking about eating dessert in the kitchen, and listening to oldies. A country song comes on and the one I love grabs my hand and we start dancing. Sure, we're dancing terribly but we're really dancing. Telling stories and secrets in a dark bedroom as we drift away into sleep. Taking care of him when he gets sick. The sunny days. Maybe someday, pulling my child onto my lap and reading her a story. Shopping for groceries. Having a puppy. Sending the kids off to school. Trying things for the first (and sometimes last) time. Making commitments. Creating memories. Falling in love every day with your family and friends.

In the end, the big moments are what we are trying to achieve. Go to school, find the husband, get the dream job, get a home and start a family. We check them off as we pass through them like checkpoints. These things are the ones we "count." But what about the little things...the things that some of us daydream about (or neglect) the most?

2 comments:

$|<@77€®|\/|1|\||)€|) said...

I really love this post. It is quite amazing.

Amanda Martinez said...

I loved this post and could relate to it. I spend alot of time thinking of things like that, I think the little things are just as important as the big

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails