Pages

Wednesday, August 01, 2012

The Outsiders: My favorite book

via
I first read The Outsiders in early high school; my mom recommended it to me. It instantly became a favorite of mine. As years passed and no other books could compare to the storyline and characters, at least in my mind, it became my favorite book. I could read the book tens of times and still feel pain, joy and fear. I  deeply cared about the characters each time, and I still do.

First published in 1967, The Outsiders is a tale of high class vs. low class, Socs vs. Greasers. You may think you'll be cheering for the "good guys," the high classers, but you'll be surprised. With characters like Ponyboy, you'll be rooting for the Greasers to catch a break up until the very end. And when it's all said and done, you'll be yearning for more.

In 1983, the book was adapted into a film, and I have learned to love it as well, even though I treasure the book so much. Big name stars of the time like Emilio Estevez, Patrick Swayze, Matt Dillon and Tom Cruise made this movie really shine. These are some of my favorite quotes from the book and movie. 

When I stepped out into the bright sunlight, from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman, and a ride home.

You can't win. You know that, don't you? It doesn't matter if you whip us, you'll still be where you were before, at the bottom. And we'll still be the lucky ones at the top with all the breaks. It doesn't matter. Greasers will still be Greasers and Socs will still be Socs. It doesn't matter. 

I hope I never see Dallas Winston again. If I do I'd... probably fall in love with him. 

Don't you know a rumble ain't a rumble without me?

You ever pull a stunt like that again, I'll kill you.
 
And of course...
Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold. 

What do you think of The Outsiders? What's your favorite book?

2 comments:

$|<@77€®|\/|1|\||)€|) said...

This book is also one of my favorites after you had me read it.

Erica said...

I lived for this book and the movie as a teen.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails