Pages

Friday, September 07, 2012

Interview With: Miss Film Buff

Allison is my film buff friend. Well, even the term film buff doesn't do her justice. She lives and breathes films, and it makes for interesting conversation. She's currently studying film in college, and of course keeping up on her movies. I talked to Allison about her love of film. Check out our conversation below.

When did your love of film begin? What was the moment that started your love of movies?
My mom instilled her love of movies in me, and I'm so grateful. A life of not caring about movies would be so boring! She's been bringing me to movies since I was a baby. My parents love telling me that when I was 3 or 4, before I could even read, I would read the marquee of a movie theater and tell my parents what was playing there. I would get so excited.

 
If you had to describe your love of film in one sentence, what would it be?
With movies, whatever kind of day I'm having, I know that I can stop what I'm doing, watch one of my favorite movies and will be instantly transported back to the first time I saw it and who I saw it with. Instant time machine.

 
You make lists of all the movies you watch in a year. Tell us a little about these lists and how you started them.
I think that started 4 years ago. I was on a website and I saw that this girl was trying to see if she could watch 100 movies in a year. I thought I could do that too, so my friends Nicole, Marlyn and I started writing down every movie we saw and then we would share our lists at the end of the year to see who had seen what. It's a great way to challenge yourself and to see as many movies as you possibly can within a year. Every year I try to one up myself from the previous year.


Give us an idea of what it's like to study film in college. What else are you studying?
It's a great feeling to finally take classes that you know will help you toward your career. There's a good balance of production and theory classes, so I not only learn how to light and edit a film, I also learn about the history of documentary and experimental films. This semester I'm taking more writing classes because I would love to be a screenwriter when I graduate from school. My minor is Television Studies. I'm a huge fan of TV as well, so to get to come to class and learn about the two things you are most passionate about is pretty fun!


What do you prefer: movies at home or in the theater? Why?
I love seeing movies in the theater! I don't think there's anything else like it. Just the experience of sitting in a dark theater with other people who want to be there just as bad as you do. Experiencing the same thing together is really special.

Why are movies so important to you?
To create an entirely different world with dynamic characters and a rich story is fascinating to me. Movies are just lighting, sets, and props. It's all fake, yet once it's played on a screen, it's a complete unit that can change someone's life. It's magical.

 
Alright, lightning round!

Favorite movie?
It's a four way tie between Knocked Up, (500) Days of Summer, Anchorman and Mean Girls.

Most-watched movie?
Clueless

The movie every American should see:
Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Who doesn't want to have a day like Ferris?

The movie everyone in the world should see:
The Wizard of Oz. Classic.


Essential movie snacks?
I don't usually eat when I'm at the movies but popcorn and Skittles are a surprisingly good combination.

Favorite film soundtrack?
Garden State

Favorite line from a movie?
"I always tell the girls, never take it seriously, if ya never take it seriously, ya never get hurt, ya never get hurt, ya always have fun, and if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends." Almost Famous

Favorite actor?
Michelle Williams, Emma Stone, Ryan Gosling and Joseph Gordon-Levitt


Favorite film genre?
Independent and Comedies

What do you think of Allison's choices? Want to know more? Check out Allison's rad Tumblr page.

And as always, I'm looking for some interesting people to interview on my blog. Leave me your email address and the topic that you'd like to discuss, and we will be in touch!

1 comment:

$|<@77€®|\/|1|\||)€|) said...

I like this, it was deff a good combo between the two of you. I would also have to agree that Ferris Bueller's Day Off is one that every American should see. Good Post!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails