Pages

Monday, September 03, 2012

What happens to your music when you die? Bruce Willis may have you covered.

via
As part of a generation that relies on Internet downloads, I've collected quite a few songs from places like iTunes. The collection is one that I'm proud of: tracks from one-hit wonders, those songs from my favorite bands, and people that I've discovered solely because of places like iTunes. However, I was surprised to find out that we only "borrow" these tracks from iTunes. Sure, we pay to buy them, but we are only paying some sort of a renter's fee. When you die, your music doesn't stay with you. 
Bruce Willis is trying to change that.
 
Apparently Willis is a big music fan and wants to pass his music collection down to his children (especially his big hit) after he passes. It's a sweet thought, right? Passing down music you raised your children on only seems like the natural order. But if you've been collecting your music through iTunes, like many of us have, that may not be an option. You can't pass down digital tracks like you would a vinyl record or CD.
 
It's scary to think that after all that time and money you spent collecting music and movies, they become worthless when you die. Willis is so upset about it that he may fight Apple.
 
Personally, I would love to be able to leave my music to someone when I'm gone. After all, isn't it one of the most personal things we put together during our time here? I think that other than my writing, my music collection describes me best. My favorite songs, songs that have special meaning, and those artists that got me through the good and bad times. Everything is there. As an avid music lover, I consider my music collection my legacy. So what happens when all of those songs, all of those memories, are just gone? Maybe Willis can change things. If he does decide to pursue this, all I have to say is: yippee ki-yay, Apple.

What do you think about Apple's decision to take back their music after you're gone? Would you want to pass down your music collection? 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails